Cannot sign into Azure SQL DB with an AzureAD account

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
frankiea

Cannot sign into Azure SQL DB with an AzureAD account

Post by frankiea » Sat 03 Jul 2021 05:55

Hi there,

I just updated to the new build: 6.0.470 and I am now unable to sign into my Azure DBs via an AzureAD account. I am getting the following error:
Sorry, but we’re having trouble signing you in.

AADSTS700016: Application with identifier '02639d71-0935-35e8-9d1b-9dd1a2a34627' was not found in the directory '[my Azure AD tenant ID]'. This can happen if the application has not been installed by the administrator of the tenant or consented to by any user in the tenant. You may have sent your authentication request to the wrong tenant.
Is there something new we need to do to get this working again? It worked fine on the previous build.

Thanks!

alexa

Re: Cannot sign into Azure SQL DB with an AzureAD account

Post by alexa » Sat 03 Jul 2021 06:33

In order to use the authentication Universal with MFA support to connect to an Azure server, you have to register dbForge Studio as an Azure Active Directory application.

There will be generated an application ID upon the application registration that will need to be specified when connecting.

- In the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory > App registrations > New registration. Enter dbForge Studio for the application name and then click on the Register button.

Put the generated application ID in your notes as you will need it on a later stage.

- Click 'Add a Redirect URI'

Turn on https://login.microsoftonline.com/common/oauth2/nativeclient as a redirect URI and set Allow public client flows to Yes. Then save the changes.

- Select API permissions > Add a permission.

Select APIs my organization uses > type Azure SQL Database into the search and select Azure SQL Database.

Select Delegated permissions > user_impersonation > Add permissions.

Setup dbForge.

jalmer

Post by jalmer » Wed 25 Aug 2021 20:00

Why is this required? You sent me a custom build (schemacomparesql50pro_customZ48488.exe) that did not require me to do extra work in the Azure Portal to compare a Azure SQL DB. I'd like to know why I need to do special work to register your application when this previously worked without doing so.

alexa

Post by alexa » Thu 26 Aug 2021 11:15

Microsoft constantly includes improvements in the services, such as Azure SQL, as well as in the libraries to access these services. At the moment, dbForge uses the latest version of that library accessing Azure SQL that requires obligatory entering of Application ID.

The previous version of the library can not be used as it works not correctly with Azure SQL in some cases.