Lack of high DPI awareness is very disappointing...

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
RFerreiraDBA

Lack of high DPI awareness is very disappointing...

Post by RFerreiraDBA » Sun 07 Feb 2021 19:06

I was about to start a trial of DBForge for SQL Server, downloaded the installation file, started installing, and, for the get-go, I can see that the application is not high DPI aware. (At least the installer is not..) Sorry guys, but it's 2021 and LOTS of people out there are using high DPI machines. Your software is useless if it cannot scale correctly with high DPI machines. I guess you guys lost a potential client right at the installation of the product. Disappointed.

I did search the forums for "DPI", and I found a post from 2018 (!!) where you guys suggest: "If you want us to add the specified functionality, please write about it on our User Voice forum: https://devart.uservoice.com/forums/104 ... components. If your suggestion gets enough votes, we will consider the possibility of its creation." Really? It's two years later and you guys need your users to keep on telling you that the world changed and your software no longer works adequately?

Best, Raphael.

alexa

Re: Lack of high DPI awareness is very disappointing...

Post by alexa » Mon 08 Feb 2021 07:30

This will be resolved in the next version 6.0 that should be released soon.

goran.genter

Post by goran.genter » Wed 02 Jun 2021 19:26

It's still not fixed. Especially if you have two monitors (for example one 1440p and one 4k monitor) with different dpi settings. It looks blurry on both until I play with high dpi compatibility settings for dbforge. That way I can make it sharp on at least one monitor.

Raudar
Devart Team

Post by Raudar » Fri 11 Jun 2021 14:29

Hi Goran,

Please note that at the moment our team is still working on improvements for high DPI however did not check all UI yet.

In order to fix the issue faster please send us the screen shots of the window and how they look like. Also, do you have the issue with DPI permanently or only when performing some specific actions?

If yes, please let us know which what procedures causses this issue.

Best regards,
Victor

goran.genter

Post by goran.genter » Mon 14 Jun 2021 20:45

The issue is that on dual monitors, when both are different resolution and different dpi (as I mentioned I have one 4k monitor with 200% dpi, and one 1440p monitor with 125% dpi) then dbForge Studio is blurry on one of those monitors. There is no way to get it to be sharp on both of them, and there is no way to get it to use full dpi potential of display. TBH, version 5 was better than version 6 regarding high dpi quality on 4k monitor, but everything was too small.

When I play with High DPI compatibility modes I can get it to be sharp on either one of them, but only on that one. Which is ok since I use it most of the time on my secondary monitor (the 4k one).

For example this is how it looks with HighDpi compatibility mode ON-OFF on my 1440p monitor:

But it's just the opposite on my 4k monitor, with HighDPI compatibility OFF it's blurry on 4k, but with ON it's ok there too. But then on 1440p monitor it's blurry.

When I say it's ok on 4k, I mean it's sharp. But it's nowhere near 4k resolution as it should be. That way it's only 1080p just larger. But at least it's not blurry.

HighDPI settings are:

If I can somehow help please let me know.