dbForge doesn't allow to go back after an error to fix the mapping during import data

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
Thenrich

dbForge doesn't allow to go back after an error to fix the mapping during import data

Post by Thenrich » Sun 08 Mar 2020 22:12

dbForge doesn't allow to go back after an error to fix the mapping during import data. I spent a few minutes editing the mappings and when I was ready to import data from a text file to a new table, I got an error right away. Seems like a date column was not in a valid date format for SQL Server. The Back button was disabled so I couldn't fix the column mapping and I had to start from scratch. Annoying!

Also, SSMS was smart enough to get the column names from the first row. dbForge didn't. It just named my columns: column1, column2, column3.. etc.

alexa

Re: dbForge doesn't allow to go back after an error to fix the mapping during import data

Post by alexa » Thu 12 Mar 2020 15:43

dbForge doesn't allow to go back after an error to fix the mapping during import data. I spent a few minutes editing the mappings and when I was ready to import data from a text file to a new table, I got an error right away. Seems like a date column was not in a valid date format for SQL Server. The Back button was disabled so I couldn't fix the column mapping and I had to start from scratch. Annoying!
You could save/load the settings in the *.dit data import template.
Also, SSMS was smart enough to get the column names from the first row. dbForge didn't. It just named my columns: column1, column2, column3.. etc.
You can select select which row to use in the 'Header -> position' field on the 'Options' page of the data import wizard.