How to restore a db backup file (*.bak) to a new server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
Eldtritchtext

How to restore a db backup file (*.bak) to a new server

Post by Eldtritchtext » Mon 21 Oct 2019 16:53

So in my testing if I backup a database to a *.bak file and try to restore it to a new server, DBFS will not allow me to. It forces me to select a db to restore to and if I am moving the backup to a new server the db does not exist. If I create a new blank db with the same name and attempt to point the restore at it, it fails the restore process saying, "BACKUP LOG" cannot be performed because there is no current database backup".

In SSMS I can restore a *.bak file to a new server without any issues even with not naming the db to restore to. Is there some trick to this in DBFS? Kinda sucks that DBFS lacks this simple functionality.

alexa

Re: How to restore a db backup file (*.bak) to a new server

Post by alexa » Tue 22 Oct 2019 07:51

We have just tried and couldn't reproduce this issue.

Please try specifying the custom path in the 'Backup to disc' field of the backup wizard, click the 'Script Changes' button and execute try executing the generated script.

Please provide us the result.

You can send a reply straight to our support system at alexaATdevartDOTcom and supportATdevartDOTcom .