Diagram Inter-Database Virtual Relations

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
cforsto

Diagram Inter-Database Virtual Relations

Post by cforsto » Tue 12 Mar 2019 16:33

The database diagram tool allows me to add tables from multiple databases onto the same diagram. However, I am unable to create a virtual relation between tables from different databases. Is there any way I can create/display this inter-database relation in the diagram?

alexa

Re: Diagram Inter-Database Virtual Relations

Post by alexa » Wed 13 Mar 2019 09:08

Could you please let us know what do you need this for?

The problem is that SQL Server itself doesn't allow cross-database FK.

cforsto

Post by cforsto » Thu 14 Mar 2019 18:25

True, but I'm not doing a FK. I'm wanting to add a virtual foreign key to show the implied relationships between tables in multiple databases. I have a transactional database that I need to show how some of those tables relate to a database that has more static data.

We don't use foreign keys in our databases because, right or wrong, we'd rather leave the control with the developer instead of the dbms.

alexa

Post by alexa » Fri 15 Mar 2019 09:54

Thank you for the reply.

Could you please still tell us what do you need this for?

cforsto

Post by cforsto » Fri 15 Mar 2019 13:48

If you read my earlier reply, I tell you why I need it. I need to show the implied relationships that exist between the databases. For example: DatabaseA.dbo.TableA.TableAid = DatabaseB.dbo.TableB.TableAid

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 20 Mar 2019 09:22

Thank you for the reply.

There is no such a possibility. Though, you can add a suggestion on the UserVoice forum where other users can vote for it https://devart.uservoice.com/forums/177 ... sql-server

We collect and analyze the information from this forum in order to make a proper roadmap for the next product versions.