SQL Complete + Copy As Data to Excel

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
omer.carnacar

SQL Complete + Copy As Data to Excel

Post by omer.carnacar » Fri 28 Sep 2018 09:42

Hello ;

Can the addition of Excel (xlsx) format to the Copy As Data field make it a more useful tool?

alexa

Re: SQL Complete + Copy As Data to Excel

Post by alexa » Fri 28 Sep 2018 15:19

Could you please describe it in more detail? Screenshots would be also of help.

JasonFS

Post by JasonFS » Tue 04 Dec 2018 15:02

alexa wrote: Fri 28 Sep 2018 15:19 Could you please describe it in more detail? Screenshots would be also of help.
They are asking for the ability to copy the results grid in the Excel format, preserving the value type formatting (i.e. VARCHAR as Text, INT as Number, etc).

A competitor has had this function for quite some time, and I've thought about switching purely for this feature:
https://knowledgebase.apexsql.com/export-to-excel/
It handles pretty much all data types as you would expect them to when trying to copy from the results grid into EXCEL.

I work with a lot of client data containing UPCs, which often have leading zeroes. When copying into excel as text, it will often try to convert them into a number format, which drops the leading zero. One other big thing it does is automatically converts NULL values to blanks. When you deal with both SQL and Excel all day, it's a huge time saver.

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 10 Dec 2018 10:16

Thank you for the reply.

You can add a suggestion on the UserVoice forum where other users can vote for it https://devart.uservoice.com/forums/87893-sql-complete

We collect and analyze the information from this forum in order to make a proper roadmap for the future product releases.