.Design files

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
Valgardur

.Design files

Post by Valgardur » Thu 14 Mar 2013 11:08

How can I prevent dbForge from creating .design files? My folders are constantly being "littered" with these files...

alexa

Re: .Design files

Post by alexa » Thu 14 Mar 2013 17:09

You can not prevent dbForge from creating .design files. These files contain parameters, the design of Query Builder diagrams, pivot tables, and other parts of complex SQL documents. This file is not created when you work just with the plain text of a query, but is created when you change a document's settings or start working with different views of the document. If you delete this file, you will only loose the values of the parameters, layout, some other characteristics of the Query Builder diagrams, or pivot table settings which can be always redefined at a later time. However, if you keep the file, all the settings can be used in the later sessions of the application.

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Fri 15 Mar 2013 10:10

Actually, if I enter one SQL statement, execute and save as a ".sql" file (select * from mytable) an ".design" is created.

Would it be possible to save them in a separate folder?

And only created when necessary?

alexa

Post by alexa » Fri 15 Mar 2013 11:18

This happens because when you execute the script, the new 'Data' view gets activated which means that you have started working with different views of the document and, as a result, the .design file gets created.

Unfortunately, this is not possible to save a .design file in a separate folder.

ahdung

Post by ahdung » Sat 04 Jan 2020 05:52

stupid design, you should allow users to turn off it at least, I don't care what's your parameters, diagrams balabala, I just care my .sql.
I JUST CARE MY sql!!!
I JUST CARE MY sql!!!

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 07 Jan 2020 14:26

To avoid this, you have to create a SQL document by clicking 'New SQL' rather than 'New Query' and don't use the 'Query Builder' tab.

mpalmer

Post by mpalmer » Mon 03 Feb 2020 00:57

I agree it's very annoying - I constantly delete the .design files. I never use the Query Builder

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 03 Feb 2020 15:20

Could you please provide us a video demonstrating this issue?

You can send a reply straight to our support system at alexaATdevartDOTcom and supportATdevartDOTcom .