Formatting options ignored when tabbing to paste full insert

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
syltech

Formatting options ignored when tabbing to paste full insert

Post by syltech » Tue 14 Feb 2012 18:07

I'm coming over from SQL Prompt and so far am really loving SQL Complete. However, I've had one little quirk that I can't figure out in the options. I have to it set up so that INSERT statements, when formatted using the SQL Complete-->Format Document command, look something like this:

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO dbo.Table (Column1,
                       Column2)
VALUES ('Value1',
        'Value2')
However, when I am scripting away and type INSERT INTO dbo.Table and get the very useful "press tab to paste full INSERT statement," the formatting disregards the options I've set and does this:

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO dbo.Table
(
  Column1
  , Column2
)
VALUES
( 
  , DEFAULT
)
I know it sounds anal retentive, but I guess I'm pretty particular about how my SQL is formatted, and I really loved this feature in SQL Prompt (and in SQL Complete!) as it saves a ton of keystrokes.

What am I doing wrong?

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 15 Feb 2012 13:14

Currently, SQL Complete formats SQL code with the options you specify only when you perform the 'Format Document' command explicitly, but not when you expand the statement to the full template by pressing the Tab key.

However, we will review such situation in more detail when developing next versions of SQL Complete.

syltech

Post by syltech » Wed 15 Feb 2012 16:08

Understood. Thanks for responding.