Error while trying to compare the schema

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
FO#

Error while trying to compare the schema

Post by FO# » Thu 16 Sep 2010 15:11

Trying to compare the schema from a live database or backup gives me the following error:

Comparison failed.
Reason: Failed to sort objects. Check whether cycles were found properly.

I then get "Unexpected Error" dialog and an option "Please tell DevArt about this problem".

I'm using DbForge 2.0.131. I have sent in the error message in via the abovementioned dialog. Is there anything else I need to provide in order to get your input on this issue. The issue is specific to one DB, and even when I try to use backup of this DB as the source, the same error appears. The target DB is completely empty.

FO#

Post by FO# » Thu 16 Sep 2010 15:17

Tried to take a snapshot of the same database, and get the the error dialog. Sent it to DevArt also.

FO#

Post by FO# » Fri 17 Sep 2010 12:33

Folks, is there more info that's needed from me in order to look into this issue? Please let me know and I'd gladly provide it. Thank you in advance.

Tyro
Devart Team

Post by Tyro » Fri 17 Sep 2010 15:40

Unfortunately, we didn't receive any error reports on this issue from you. Please, make sure that you sent the email properly.
In order to find out what the problem is and to work it out, we'd like to ask you provide us your database's backup. Unfortunately, this is the only way to find the peculiar of dependencies between database objects in this particular case.
If you agree to provide us your database's backup, please lets us know, and we'll send you further instructions. We guarantee the absence of disclosure of the data provided, and the backup will be used for the test purposes only.
Thanks in any case, because feedbacks make our products better, thus making our customers happier :)

FO#

Post by FO# » Fri 17 Sep 2010 16:16

It's not a problem, if you need a DB backup of the DB schema. Can you please PM me the details? I can provide an e-mail address if needed, upon your request.

Tyro
Devart Team

Post by Tyro » Fri 17 Sep 2010 16:40

I'm sorry, I can't provide you the details right now, because we have some technical problems pop up, but all the team has gone home :(
So I can back to you only on Monday's morning.
Thanks for the collaboration.

FO#

Post by FO# » Fri 17 Sep 2010 17:14

Sure thing. Tyro, is there a chance we could have a quick Skype call or ICQ chat?

FO#

Post by FO# » Fri 17 Sep 2010 19:43

Tyro wrote:Unfortunately, we didn't receive any error reports on this issue from you. Please, make sure that you sent the email properly.
Tyro, can you please also explain what "properly" means. I used the mechanism built-in to the SQL Schema Compare that asks me if I want to send the info to DevArt when the error occurs. I filled out the form that popped up and sent it.
I can send a screenshot, if needed.

Tyro
Devart Team

Post by Tyro » Mon 20 Sep 2010 07:00

I've sent the details to your e-mail.

By saying "properly" I meant that the email was sent successfully by your mail client program. We didn't receive any emails with such problem, so maybe that email is hanging in the outbox, or just failed to be delivered..
Tyro, is there a chance we could have a quick Skype call or ICQ chat?
I think it's not necessary, when we get the backup file we'll examine the problem quickly.

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Mon 11 Oct 2010 13:02

to FO#
All problems have been fixed in the 2.00.143.
Thank you a lot for the assistance!

FO#

Post by FO# » Mon 11 Oct 2010 13:41

Thank you for the heads up! Will test and report results within the next day or two!