SQL Azure Encrypt Connection String

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for SQL Server
benb

SQL Azure Encrypt Connection String

Post by benb » Tue 29 May 2012 08:32

Hello

I have setup a connection to my SQL Azure database in the dbForge SQL Server Schema Compare connection manager, but the connection string shown does not include "Encrypt=True".
I appreciate the SQL Azures forces connection encryption, however best practice indicates "Encrypt=True" and "TrustServerCertificate=False" should still be used in the connection string as outlined here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckwoody/archi ... -true.aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 94108.aspx

1) Does the dbForge append these parameters to the connection string shown or can I make it add them?

2) If "Encrypt=True" is not specified, can my SQL Azure credentials ever (even the remotest possibility) be sent over an unencrypted connection (presumably an unencrypted connection is, or may be, attempted first before SQL Azure forces the use of an encrypted connection)?

Thank you

alexa

Re: SQL Azure Encrypt Connection String

Post by alexa » Wed 30 May 2012 09:21

1) Does the dbForge append these parameters to the connection string shown or can I make it add them?
dbForge Schema Compare for SQL Server does not add any parameters to the connection string.
2) If "Encrypt=True" is not specified, can my SQL Azure credentials ever (even the remotest possibility) be sent over an unencrypted connection (presumably an unencrypted connection is, or may be, attempted first before SQL Azure forces the use of an encrypted connection)?
Since SQL Azure forces connection encryption, SQL Azure credentials always go through an encrypted connection.

benb

Post by benb » Wed 30 May 2012 22:53

Thank you

alexa

Post by alexa » Sat 23 Jun 2012 11:03

Please let us know should other questions arise.