Uninstall...doesn't work

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
NickHu

Uninstall...doesn't work

Post by NickHu » Thu 03 Aug 2017 23:36

I uninstalled Entity Developer...and it failed to remotely work. It is still in my Visual Studio. When I hit add class, it defaults to an ED class.

How do I completely remove Entity Developer from my system? Why is it such a problem?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Uninstall...doesn't work

Post by Shalex » Fri 04 Aug 2017 11:05

NickHu wrote:How do I completely remove Entity Developer from my system?
1. The full reinstall with checking environment:
a) uninstall Entity Developer
b) make sure (via some file manager like https://x-diesel.com/) that there are no Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* files/folders in the following locations:
* GAC 2.0 (\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\)
* GAC 4.0 (\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\)
c) clear the directories:
* \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Devart\
* \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio __._\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Devart\
* \Program Files (x86)\Devart\
* \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\
* \Documents and Settings\All Users\Devart\EntityDeveloper\
d) run devenv.exe /setup (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex6a2fad.aspx)
NickHu wrote:I uninstalled Entity Developer...and it failed to remotely work. It is still in my Visual Studio. When I hit add class, it defaults to an ED class.
2. Please clarify the issue:
a) is the Tools > Entity Developer menu present in your Visual Studio?
b) what is "ED class"? Specify the steps we should follow for reproducing

JIC: if *.edmx is opened in Entity Developer but you want to use a standard EDM Designer, please right click *.edmx > Open With > ADO.NET Entity Data Model Designer, press Set as Default, OK.

NickHu

Post by NickHu » Sat 19 Aug 2017 01:57

Last time I ever install any of your software. I have fried my extensions and updates trying to remove it. I should not have to go through this to get rid of your software.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 21 Aug 2017 08:25

Sorry for the inconvenience. Common reasons why uninstall may fail:
* Visual Studio is not closed before uninstalling Entity Developer
* Uninstall is launched under Windows account without administrator privileges (use "Run as administrator" context menu)