How do I know that DB data will be deleted?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
AlexNek

How do I know that DB data will be deleted?

Post by AlexNek » Thu 16 Jul 2015 22:11

Can I enable warning when ED must recreate the table and delete the data?
I can't all the time check modification notice. And if ED must drop the table before changes it would be nice to have automatically export/import data possibility.

MariiaI
Devart Team

Re: How do I know that DB data will be deleted?

Post by MariiaI » Fri 17 Jul 2015 11:35

AlexNek wrote:Can I enable warning when ED must recreate the table and delete the data?
I can't all the time check modification notice. And if ED must drop the table before changes it would be nice to have automatically export/import data possibility.
No, Entity Developer is an ORM modelling and code generation tool, it is not a data migration tool. For this purpose special tools should be used.

You could use the "Update Model From Database'/"Update Database From Model' wizards in Entity Developer to update the existing data model from the database and vice versa.
These wizards detect all the database/model changes that can affect the model/database, e.g. created and deleted tables and views, their columns and foreign keys, column data type changes, created and deleted stored procedures and functions, changes to their parameters, etc.
If you do not want some changes to take effect, you can clear the check boxes for the proposed changes in the "Update Model From Database" wizard and at the next update the wizard will not propose you them again.
Please refer to the corresponding topic in the Entity Developer documentation:
ORM Support -> LinqConnect -> Synchronizing Model and Database Data -> Updating Model from Database.
ORM Support -> LinqConnect -> Synchronizing Model and Database Data -> Updating Database from Model.

AlexNek

Post by AlexNek » Mon 27 Jul 2015 20:56

Sorry for delay, I'm not received answer notification.
>No, Entity Developer is an ORM modelling and code generation tool, it is not a data migration tool.
>If you do not want some changes to take effect,
>Synchronizing Model and Database Data -> Updating Database from Model.
This is exact the problem - as long as I can update database from model, i must always analyze the changes and thinking about data deleting if the changes will be applied.
When I have a lot of tables and a lot of small changes it will be not so easy do it manually.
I think for the tool it it easily to analyze the changes and show warning if data will be deleted.

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Tue 28 Jul 2015 11:06

I think for the tool it it easily to analyze the changes and show warning if data will be deleted.
Unfortunately, currently, there is no plans to add such functionality.
Please post your suggestion at our UserVoice so that other users can vote for it.

JIC: We will also investigate the possibility to filter all listed objects in the Update Model From Database wizard.