Custom Tool Error

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
csl

Custom Tool Error

Post by csl » Wed 10 Jun 2015 20:54

Toolset:
VS2013 (Update 4)
C# MVC 5 Project (with other supporting Assembly Projects)
Entity Developer 5.7.619

I have added a new nHibernate Schema to my "Models" assembly (pure Class Project) and then added an nHibernate Template using ONLY the default configuration (I have not changed any settings).

It doesn't matter if I select Model First or Database First - as soon as the tool needs to re-generate I get the following error:

Error 1 Custom tool error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This happens if I take a clean Model First schema and then add a single Entity with a single Primary key column.
It also happens if I take a clean Database First schema and read in a single table from the Database.

I've previously used Entity Developer for the last couple of years on another project using nHibernate 3 without experiencing this issue, is it something todo with nHibernate 4 or is it simply a bug in the latest version of the software?

Any help would be appreciated as I need to get on and get my schema designed.

MariiaI
Devart Team

Re: Custom Tool Error

Post by MariiaI » Thu 11 Jun 2015 05:21

csl wrote:Entity Developer 5.7.619
Error 1 Custom tool error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Thank you for the report.
We have fixed the bug related to the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when generating code.
The fix will be included in the next public build of Entity Developer. We will inform you when it is available for download.

Micke

Post by Micke » Thu 18 Jun 2015 12:48

same bug here. any workaround tips til the patch will be released ^^ ?

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Fri 19 Jun 2015 07:15

New build of Entity Developer 5.7.634 is available for download!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with active subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=31988.

costello

Post by costello » Wed 05 Aug 2015 09:12

Eek, this problem still persists with me - but not with every datamodel. The versions where I encounter this bug are 5.7.644.0 and 5.8.662. And the error message is displayed at the moment when I try saving my model from visual studio plugin.

Visual studio is VS2013 12.0.40629.00 update 5.

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Wed 05 Aug 2015 11:00

We couldn't reproduce this issue in our environment with the latest build of Entity Developer 5.8.662.
Please perform the following steps:
1) uninstall Entity Developer and other Devart products, which can use common assemblies (e.g., LinqConnect);
2) clear these folders:
- Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect
- Program Files (x86)\Devart\Entity Developer
- Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\dotConnect
- Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\Entity Developer
- Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\Devart (this directory depends on the version of Visual Studio being used);
3) remove all Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* files from the GAC:
- C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\;
- C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL
4) install Entity Developer (run installation package as administrator) and other Devart products, if necessary, with compatible versions.
Make sure, that during uninstalling/installing all Visual Studio instances are closed.

If this doesn't help, please send us a small test project with the NHibernate model, with which this error could be reproduced.