Start ED without admin rights

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
Helmi

Start ED without admin rights

Post by Helmi » Fri 25 Jul 2014 14:32

Hi everybody,

I just downloaded and installed the express version of Entity Developer. In my company, developers may only use their admin accounts after they reported an "emergency". It seems that ED always needs admin rights when startet.
Is there a possibility to start ED without admin right?

Best regards,
Helmi

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Start ED without admin rights

Post by Shalex » Tue 29 Jul 2014 07:18

When using Entity Developer, your operating system user must have privileges to create/read/modify files of the model, *.config files (e.g.: \Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Devart\EntityDeveloper\EntityDeveloper.exe.config), keys in the registry (settings of Entity Developer are stored here). Please try granting these priveledges and notify us about the results.

michael_grundhoefer

Post by michael_grundhoefer » Mon 07 Dec 2015 08:41

Hey,
it is law becauseour company that nobody works with admin rights, it is impossible for me to get privilegs to write to the registry. Can you advice a workarround to accomplish this problem? Why you need to write / modify keys in the registry? It would be much easier to store the configuration informations into hkey_currentuser!
regards

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Wed 09 Dec 2015 11:40

No, unfortunately, there is no possible workaround for this.
Entity Developer (standalone and VS add-in), Visual Studio integration, etc., require access to the registry (in particular, to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE).

michael_grundhoefer

Post by michael_grundhoefer » Thu 10 Dec 2015 08:35

Why don't you change the placement of configuration settings to HKEY_CURRENT_USER? That prevents a lot of installation / handling problems. Permanently popup of the "user account control"-dialog makes me very nervous. Indeed it is not possible to start ED with powerusers-rights (after installation with admin-rights as proposed from devart-support). I work since years with dbforge and I am very satisfied with that solution. Here it is possible to work without the described problems. I am wondering really about why there are not more users with same problems. How do they handle the user rights problem?

MariiaI
Devart Team

Post by MariiaI » Fri 11 Dec 2015 10:26

Unfortunately, currently, there is no plans to change this.
Please post your suggestion at our UserVoice so that other users can vote for it.

saurus

Post by saurus » Sat 12 Jan 2019 00:21

This is still an issue as of Jan 2019.

Surely it is possible to write software that does not need local administrator permissions?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 14 Jan 2019 12:37

The feature requires a product redesign. There is no any timeframe at the moment.