Entity Developer resetting custom types to Int

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
tschiller

Entity Developer resetting custom types to Int

Post by tschiller » Wed 20 Nov 2013 19:22

I'm using Entity Developer 5.7.222 with Visual Studio 2012 for NHibernate. We use custom enumeration types backed by integers for many entity properties (a la "Namespace.EnumName, Assembly").

I'm running into a problem where the Entity Developer tool will reset all of the types for these properties to "Int" when I open the model. Additionally, sometimes, the tool will not let me set the type of a property to a custom type, instead just automatically setting it to Int.

Please advise.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Entity Developer resetting custom types to Int

Post by Shalex » Thu 21 Nov 2013 14:20

We cannot reproduce the problem in our environment. Please send us a test model and specify the steps we should follow.

tschiller

Post by tschiller » Sat 30 Nov 2013 22:24

I cannot reliably reproduce the problem.

However, once the problem occurs, I cannot get around the problem even when reverting the model files to their previous version. The XML in the HBML file is correct, however when the DevArt editor loads the model it marks all the custom enumeration types as Ints.

Please advise how I can help you reproduce the problem without sending over the exact files I am working with.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 02 Dec 2013 14:34

Please upgrade to the latest (5.7.241) build of Entity Developer. Does this help?

tschiller

Post by tschiller » Tue 10 Dec 2013 03:59

Upon installing the new version, it worked for a bit -- I was able to view a model without it resetting the types. However now I am experiencing the same problem and cannot even view a model with it resetting the types (even if I revert all the files in TFS).

To clarify: only the fully-qualified enumeration names are reset to Int32, the non-qualified names are not reset.

The actions I had performed that apparently exposed the bug again:
  • Create a new Entity
  • Create a 1-1 association
  • Mark an property as an ID based on the foreign key of another entity
  • Add properties, selecting their type from the pop-up property editor
  • Copy two properties from another entity to the new entity
This bug prevents me from using the DevArt tool on any sizable project since I have to manually fix all of the types (and sometimes the tool won't let us fix the type, it resets to Int32 immediately).

Please advise.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 11 Dec 2013 16:58

We cannot reproduce the problem in our environment. Please send us a test model and specify the exact steps we should follow using it.