Mixed Tooling - Entity Developer and MS Entity Designer?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
doogie04

Mixed Tooling - Entity Developer and MS Entity Designer?

Post by doogie04 » Sat 16 Nov 2013 00:14

Is it possible to work in a mixed tooling environment where some developers use the MS entity designer and others use the DevArt Entity Developer?

From my limited experience with Entity Developer, it appears that I need to convert my edmx to edml to save any changes.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Mixed Tooling - Entity Developer and MS Entity Designer?

Post by Shalex » Tue 19 Nov 2013 13:46

doogie04 wrote:Is it possible to work in a mixed tooling environment where some developers use the MS entity designer and others use the DevArt Entity Developer
Yes, it is possible. But *.edml can be edited only with Entity Developer, and *.edmx - with EDM Designer.
doogie04 wrote:From my limited experience with Entity Developer, it appears that I need to convert my edmx to edml to save any changes.
This is correct. You can convert *.edmx to *.edml with Entity Developer.

doogie04

Post by doogie04 » Tue 19 Nov 2013 17:57

Maybe I wasn't specific enough. I meant used mixed tooling on the same model?

I work in large global development team. Forcing all developers to move to Entity Developer (at the same time) will be quite difficult. It would be easy, however, if some developers can "upgrade" to Entity Developer, while others remain on the MS tooling (editing the same model).

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 20 Nov 2013 09:53

The question was discussed at http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=24766.

The migration *.edmx -> *.edml should be smooth. If you encounter any difficulties, please send us a test model for reproducing the issue.