compare XML files backing edml

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
travis_thelen

compare XML files backing edml

Post by travis_thelen » Wed 22 May 2013 18:22

Maybe I am doing something wrong .... I did the following ....

1. I have an edml model generated against my database ... it is checked into source control
2. We added a new column to a table
3. I updated the edml using the Entity Developer (Update Model from Database...)
4. Now I'd like to use the file diff tools in my source control to compare the edml files before checking in my changes. Would really like to VERIFY that the only changes made are related to the new column. However, it appears as if the XML in the edml is in a completely different order ... rendering a file diff absolutely useless.

Comments?

Thanks,
Travis

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: compare XML files backing edml

Post by Shalex » Fri 24 May 2013 16:38

We cannot reproduce the problem at the moment: the XML remains the same except lines (one in SSDL, one in CSDL, and one in MSL) which are added to describe the new column.

1. Have you selected the Regenerate Model option on the first step of Update Model From Database Wizard?
2. Please describe the exact changes in the XML order after updating the model. Which parts of the model (MSL, CSDL, MSL) are messed?

If you decide to send us original and result models, please use our contact form: http://www.devart.com/company/contact.html.

travis_thelen

Post by travis_thelen » Tue 02 Jul 2013 19:09

It appears the big culprit is navigation properties. They have different guids when diffing files.

We do the following ... we have software for change control of the database. When changes are made, the tool generates scripts to create a new, clean database. We then update the model from this "new" database. Is this approach problematic? Where do you get these guids?

Also, Entity Developer seems to add back navigation properties that were set to NOT generate properties.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 04 Jul 2013 11:34

When changes are made, the tool generates scripts to create a new, clean database. We then update the model from this "new" database. Is this approach problematic? Where do you get these guids?
Entity Developer generates a unique GUID for each new element of the model using Guid.NewGuid() method. Two elements of the same type have different GUIDs - this is a designed behaviour.
If you select the "Recreate model" option in Update Model From Database Wizard, all model objects will be dropped and the new objects (with different Guids) will be created.
Entity Developer seems to add back navigation properties that were set to NOT generate properties.
Could you please specify the exact steps we should follow to reproduce the issue in our environment? Send us the DDL script if needed.

travis_thelen

Post by travis_thelen » Mon 08 Jul 2013 17:54

We are not re-creating the model - just updating it.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 09 Jul 2013 16:09

Could you please specify the exact steps we should follow to reproduce the issue in our environment? Send us your model and the DDL script of the database objects so that we can update the model in our environment.

travis_thelen

Post by travis_thelen » Thu 22 Aug 2013 18:14

This issue has been resolved by updating the version of entity developer ... looks like there was a known bug with EF6 alpha 1