Pluralization of navigation properties in non-english projects

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
ODN

Pluralization of navigation properties in non-english projects

Post by ODN » Tue 07 May 2013 03:15

Dear Devart team,

when working with non-english projects, working with pluralization is not easy at all.
As a matter of course, you have to set the plural name of each entity manually, no problem.
But unfortunately all navigation properties to the "many side" of a relation do not get named accordingly. You have to change each of them in every entity where they are used.
I have a model with 200+ entities and many navigation properties. I wish entity developer would sync plural navigation properties with plural entity name.

Entity : Aufgabe
EntitySet : Aufgaben

Entity : Kategorie
EntitySet : Kategorien

Aufgabe m <-> n Kategorie (m:n relation)

Aufgabe
- Name
- Prioritaet
- Kategorien (navigation property)

Kategorie
- Name
- Position
- Aufgaben (navigation property)

Kind Regards

Oliver

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Pluralization of navigation properties in non-english projects

Post by Shalex » Fri 10 May 2013 08:23

ODN wrote:you have to set the plural name of each entity manually, no problem.
But unfortunately all navigation properties to the "many side" of a relation do not get named accordingly.
The name of a navigation property to the "many side" of a relation is determined basing on the Name property (plus "s" or "es") of the entity at the "many side".

We will investigate the possibility of naming a navigation property to the "many side" basing on the Entity Set property of the entity at the "many side". We will post here about the result.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 29 May 2013 08:47

We consider the current behaviour is correct because it is applied by other designers as well (e.g.: Entity Data Model Designer).

ODN

Post by ODN » Wed 29 May 2013 23:26

Thanks for your reply, but correct must not mean the best way. If entity framework data model designer would be as comfortable and equally function featured as entity developer is in some areas there would be no need for your product. But you definitely must consider the reference product is missing important features, otherwise you would not invest the time developing your product.

I gave you a description of how painful it is to work with pluralisation of non-English language projects - if you can't imagine it just try it in your own language and you will see what I mean. If you tell us that this is the normal behaviour of other model designers unfortunately doesn't make the situation any better. If automatic pluralisation in non-English projects would work as desired there wouldn't be any problem with your solution, but at the moment there is no way around this except you are providing a mechanism for implementing a custom non-English pluralisation service. As I bet you are not willing to implement this behaviour, your current way of handling pluralisation of navigation properties is far away from being convenient. You are telling me that I have to continue manually changing every navigation property that is wrongly pluralized (for whatever reason).

I hope you will reconsider this.

Kind Regards,

Oliver

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 30 May 2013 08:42

Thank you for the points. We will investigate the question again. Please post your suggestion at http://devart.uservoice.com/forums/3867 ... -developer.