Open edmx - forced to save as edml

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
johnwest80

Open edmx - forced to save as edml

Post by johnwest80 » Fri 24 Aug 2012 05:33

So this could very well be me. Here's my scenario:

I have an edmx file that I've been opening outside of VS and updating. In the past, when I've saved it, it has saved as the same edmx file I opened. Now, however, when I save, it's trying to force me to save as an edml file instead. I have to manually go change the extension each time back to edmx instead of edml. If I do save it as an edml, I get a weird error. * Note I'm not asking for a solution on how to get an edml to work - I'm asking for how to get back to saving it as the same edmx file I opened. Thx. *

Does this sound familiar? I'm not sure what changed on my end.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Open edmx - forced to save as edml

Post by Shalex » Mon 27 Aug 2012 11:19

Entity Developer allows only to import *.edmx but the output would be *.edml. Output can not be *.edmx because Entity Developer uses extra tags and attributes, additional features which are not supported by EDM Designer. Devart designer (*.edml) offers a wider range of functionality comparing to the standard designer.

There was a bug with saving *.edml when importing data from *.edmx in the previous versions of Entity Developer. It was fixed in the 4.4.197 version: http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/r ... story.html.

johnwest80

Post by johnwest80 » Thu 11 Oct 2012 19:11

This answer doesn't help me. Because you've changed your software and are forcing some new file format, I'm getting this error:

The number of members in the conceptual type 'Model.MyItem' does not match with the number of members on the object side type 'Model.MyItem'. Make sure the number of members are the same.

I can only get around it by forcing a save as edmx.

I need a solution.

johnwest80

Post by johnwest80 » Thu 11 Oct 2012 19:14

And btw, I'm on version 4.7.277, so the version shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 16 Oct 2012 10:24

1. If you get the "The number of members in the conceptual type 'Model.MyItem' does not match..." error when importing *.edmx into Entity Developer (to save as *.edml), please send us a test *.edmx so that we can reproduce the problem in our environment.

2. The following scenario is NOT supported because Entity Developer uses extra tags and attributes, additional features which are not supported by EDM Designer: *.edmx -> modifying the model in Entity Developer -> saving as *.edml -> renaming to *.edmx.

johnwest80

Post by johnwest80 » Thu 18 Oct 2012 21:32

I can send you the actual edmx file. How should I get it to you?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 19 Oct 2012 08:00

Please send it via our contact form: http://www.devart.com/company/contact.html.

johnwest80

Post by johnwest80 » Thu 25 Oct 2012 16:26

I just sent the email. I look forward to hearing back with a solution.