Difference between Standalone Entity Developer

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
cjbiggs

Difference between Standalone Entity Developer

Post by cjbiggs » Fri 13 Apr 2012 02:00

What is the different between Standalone Entity Developer and the one that is package with dotConnect for Postgres? I created a edml file using the Entity Developer packaged with dotConnect for Postgres with in Visual Studio. My company has a licenses for it. Then my company decided to move from Postgres to SQL Server 2012. I uninstalled dotConnect for Postgres since we moved to SQL Server 2012. I installed the dotConnect for SQL Server which did not have the Entity Developer packaged with it. So I downloaded 30-day Standalone Entity Developer to generate my edml with in Visual Studio 2010. No the Standalone Entity Developer has expired. Then I decide to use the Entity Developer that was packaged in our licensed dotConnect for Postgres. But I get an SSDL error about the provider.

Is what I am trying to do allowed?

Can I convert my dotConnect for Postgres license to a Standalone Entity Developer's license?

Thanks,

Charlie J.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 13 Apr 2012 10:55

cjbiggs wrote:What is the different between Standalone Entity Developer and the one that is package with dotConnect for Postgres?
Entity Developer for dotConnect, which is shipped with dotConnect for PostgreSQL Professional, can be used for creating only Entity Framework and LinqConnect models which are intended to work only with PostgreSQL database.

Entity Developer Professional (all editions) is used for generating Entity Framework and LINQ to SQL models only for SQL Server, and NHibernate models - for all databases (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite).
cjbiggs wrote:Can I convert my dotConnect for Postgres license to a Standalone Entity Developer's license?
Please contact our Sales department (sales at devart*com).