Overwrite prompt - how to disable being asked every time

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
johnwest80

Overwrite prompt - how to disable being asked every time

Post by johnwest80 » Wed 25 Jan 2012 13:58

I'm asked if I want to overwrite every time I save my model. Is there a way to stop this? I looked in options and didn't see anything.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 27 Jan 2012 08:46

Please give us the following information:
1) the exact text of the prompt message you are getting;
2) are you using standalone Entity Developer or the one which is integrated into Visual Studio?
3) in case of integration into Visual Studio, are any other files of the model (*.edps, *.cs) opened in your IDE when you are closing *.view and getting prompt message?
4) tell us the exact versions of your Entity Developer, Visual Studio and specify the exact steps we should follow to reproduce the message in our environment.

johnwest80

Post by johnwest80 » Wed 08 Feb 2012 15:24

I'm using standalone entity developer.

I can click the save button, save all button, or type control-s or shift-control-s. Each time it gives me the file dialog with the current file specified, and when i hit enter to save, it makes me confirm.

Visual Studio 2010 version 10.0.40219.1 sp1rel

ED version 4.2.110

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 10 Feb 2012 16:05

1. Please specify the exact text of the prompt message(-s) you are getting.
2. Which operating system is installed on your workstation? If it is Windows7, try running Entity Developer with the As Administrator option. Does it help?

johnwest80

Post by johnwest80 » Wed 25 Apr 2012 13:29

I am using the latest version of standalone entity developer, vs2010 sp1, and windows 7 64-bit. The same issue occurs whether running as admin or not.

To reproduce:

Open model
Make a change (move an entity in the diagram, etc)
Hit Control-S

That's it. Instead of just silently saving the file, it gives me a file dialog box with the existing name filled in. Then, when I hit enter, it tells me the file already exists and asks me if I want to override.

Please, before you ask me more questions, can you confirm that you do the following, and it *doesn't* ask you to confirm the save?
Shalex wrote:1. Please specify the exact text of the prompt message(-s) you are getting.
2. Which operating system is installed on your workstation? If it is Windows7, try running Entity Developer with the As Administrator option. Does it help?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Overwrite prompt - how to disable being asked every time

Post by Shalex » Mon 30 Apr 2012 06:27

We cannot reproduce "asking to confirm the save" in our test environment. And we have not received any similar reports from our other customers. It seems like something is wrong with your operating system (if possible, try using Entity Developer on another computer). Try the following:
1) turn off your firewall
2) set Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control Settings to the Never Notify position.
Does this help?