bug: arrow positions don't get saved??

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
mindplay

bug: arrow positions don't get saved??

Post by mindplay » Mon 19 Dec 2011 19:55

Every time I close a model (even though I'm saving the changes to my diagram first) all of the arrows on the diagram reposition themselves at random.

Is that supposed to happen?

mindplay

Post by mindplay » Mon 19 Dec 2011 20:49

I tried to backup my view-file, then corrected a single arrow on the diagram and ran a diff against the previous version of the file.

I see the anchor properties updating in the view-file, coordinates are saved correctly and port-types change from "FloatAnchor" to "FixedAnchor", so it is being saved correctly.

I then closed the diagram view and opened it again - the arrows were preserved.

I then closed the entire model, opened it again, and opened the diagram... at this point, the arrows get wiped out and return to some kind of default.

So it seems there is definitely a bug here.

Let me know if I can provide more information to help debug this.

mindplay

Post by mindplay » Thu 22 Dec 2011 15:38

I may have a clue as to why this doesn't work.

I noticed, in the "Options" window, there's an option to "Preserve Routing" - which is checked by default. If this were unchecked, is ED supposed to behave as I explained above?

If so, the problem may be that the options in this window aren't being applied at all.

For example, if I turn off "Show Grid" or "Enable Shadows", or change the X/Y offset of shadows, nothing changes - even after restarting the app, it's all the same, still seeing the grid and shadows.

I also set "Property Details Level" to "Name and Type", which presumably should cause the type to show up next to the property names on the diagram? This option has no effect either.

I can't find a single option in this dialog that has any effect at all...

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 23 Dec 2011 08:49

We have reproduced the problems with "Preserve Routing" for inheritances, "Show Grid", and "Enable Shadows". We will post here when the bugs are fixed.
mindplay wrote:I also set "Property Details Level" to "Name and Type", which presumably should cause the type to show up next to the property names on the diagram? This option has no effect either.
It works in the latest (4.2.95) build of Entity Developer. Please try and notify us about the results.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 23 Dec 2011 09:23

"Preserve Routing" for inheritances
Fixed. Look forward to the next build of Entity Developer.
"Show Grid", and "Enable Shadows"
This works in the current version as well.

Changes made through the Tools > Options menu are applicable to the way the entire application works rather than to an individual diagrams. These changes are applicable only to newly-created diagrams. To apply the global defaults to an existing diagram, right-click the diagram, select Options and, in the Options dialog box, select the appropriate tab and click Default.

Changing settings of a particular diagram: right click on the diagram > Options > changes... > OK.

mindplay

Post by mindplay » Fri 23 Dec 2011 19:27

All the options do in deed work correctly, then - all except "Preserve Routing", which didn't fully work.

I had no idea the Options screen even existed for individual diagrams.

The problem is, there is nothing in the user-interface indicating that the settings under "Diagram" in the Options dialog are defaults, and not actually settings that apply to what you're working on. Especially seeing as how everything else in that dialog are settings that do apply globally.

I would suggest you clarify the interface, by changing the name to "Defaults for New Diagrams", or something along the lines of that.

Had me fooled ;-)

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 27 Dec 2011 17:48

Thank you for your suggestion. We will correct the names in our interface to make it clear that the changes made through the Tools > Options menu are applicable only to newly-created diagrams.

mindplay

Post by mindplay » Fri 30 Dec 2011 19:33

Shalex wrote:It works in the latest (4.2.95) build of Entity Developer. Please try and notify us about the results.
Still does not work in 4.2.95 for me - inheritance mappings always reset after closing and re-opening a model.

Here's an example - if I change the arrow on this diagram, save, close, open, it always reverts back the way it is by default.

Helen
Devart Team

Post by Helen » Wed 04 Jan 2012 07:41

mindplay wrote: Still does not work in 4.2.95 for me - inheritance mappings always reset after closing and re-opening a model.
The bug with diagrams when "Property Details Level" is set to "Name And Type" was fixed in the latest (4.2.95) build of Entity Developer:
mindplay wrote:I also set "Property Details Level" to "Name and Type", which presumably should cause the type to show up next to the property names on the diagram? This option has no effect either.
Shalex wrote:It works in the latest (4.2.95) build of Entity Developer. Please try and notify us about the results.
But the fix for the bug with "Preserve Routing" will be available in the next build of Entity Developer:
Shalex wrote:"Preserve Routing" for inheritances

Fixed. Look forward to the next build of Entity Developer.

mindplay

Post by mindplay » Wed 04 Jan 2012 14:19

Thanks for the clarification, Helen!

I'll sit tight for the next release...

Helen
Devart Team

Post by Helen » Thu 12 Jan 2012 15:15

In the latest 4.2.110 build of Entity Developer the problem with saving inheritance layout on the diagram is fixed.
The new build can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/download.html (the trial and free versions) or from Registered Users' Area (provided that you have an active subscription).

For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23135 .