How to use Entity Developer output in your own Project?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
reggie

How to use Entity Developer output in your own Project?

Post by reggie » Wed 06 Jul 2011 18:31

I give up...you won! :oops:

How do I use what Entity Developer (ED) has created in my many different projects?

Does ED create an Assembly that I can link into my other projects?

The current documentation does not help.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 07 Jul 2011 16:00

Entity Developer generates a model, code file and metadata information.
I recommend you to add the model (with .edps and .Diagram1.View files) into your project as an existing file or to add a new Devart Entity Model or Devart LinqConnect model to your project.
You will be able to use the model just as if you were using the Microsoft ADO.NET Entity Data Model or LINQ to SQL Classes (depending on the technology you are using).
Take a look at the Product Tour, it gives some tips about working with models.

reggie

Post by reggie » Thu 07 Jul 2011 21:55

AndreyR wrote:Entity Developer generates a model, code file and metadata information.
I recommend you to add the model (with .edps and .Diagram1.View files) into your project as an existing file or to add a new Devart Entity Model or Devart LinqConnect model to your project.
Thank you for the information.

But what I really need to know is how to take what the Entity Developer has created and turn it into an Assembly (*.dll) that I can then use in my 50+ other projects.

Thanks

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 08 Jul 2011 10:18

I recommend you to create a new C# or Visual Basic class library, add a new or existing Devart Entity model or Devart LinqConnect model, and then simply reference this assembly in your projects.
If you are interested in implementing some business logic over the generated code, I recommend you to take a look at this article, for example. It deals with Entity Framework, if you are interested in LinqConnect, take a look at this LINQ to SQL article, our LinqConnect is LINQ to SQL-compatible.