Latest dotConnect/Ora version does not generate SEQUENCE

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
object

Latest dotConnect/Ora version does not generate SEQUENCE

Post by object » Mon 06 Dec 2010 07:52

Hei,

After purchasing the site license, we have downloaded latest dotConnect for Oracle that comes with Entity Developer 3.0, and when working with EDML model, I am not able to generated a database creation script that would contain SEQUENCE creation script for columns marked as StoreGeneratedPattern.

Here are my challenges:

1. I can't mark as StoreGeneratedPattern columns in conceptual model (classes). Is this correct? Let's say I want to use the same model for both Oracle and SQL server. Shouldn't I be able to define identity columns on a conceptual level?

2. Although I can add StoreGeneratedPattern to columns in the physical model (SSDL), they are not reflected in generated SQL script.

3. In addition scripts don't have DROP TABLE statements

4. I checked T4 templates installed by Devart, and I can see instuctions for both DROP TABLE and SEQUENCE generation scripts, but this template does not seem to be used when I choose either "Generate database from model" or "Update database from model" options.

Am I missing something?

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 06 Dec 2010 17:10

Thank you for the report, I have reproduced the situation.
I will let you know about the results of our investigation.

object

Post by object » Tue 07 Dec 2010 09:37

Thanks! Right now I am doing this manually, but it will be great if dotConnect can take care of this.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 07 Dec 2010 11:56

We plan to add this functionality in one of the nearest builds.
I will let you know when it is available.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 14 Dec 2010 16:24

One more thing. You mention the Devart T4 templates. As far as I understand, do you mean the templates from %Program Files%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Entity Framework Tools\?
These templates are not associated with Entity Developer and Devart Entity models, they are a part of our Entity Framework 4 support (the Generate Database form Model wizard, in particular).
The requested functionality is available for .edmx models.

object

Post by object » Thu 16 Dec 2010 07:39

Yes, these templates are from Entity Framework Tools extensions. Thanks for the clarification - I was puzzled how I should invoke them from the .edml model.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 21 Feb 2011 16:08

We have added trigger and sequence generation for columns with StoreGeneratedPattern set to Identity for Devart Entity models as well.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 24 Feb 2011 15:10

We have released a new 6.10.111 build of dotConnect for Oracle.
It includes the implementation of the sequence and trigger generation.
You can download this build from here (Trial edition).
If you are a registered user, you can get the non-Trial edition from Registered Users' Area.
Take a look at this post for details.