Visual Studio 2010

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
Fortis

Visual Studio 2010

Post by Fortis » Sat 17 Apr 2010 15:46

With the current version (2.80.116) I have several issues:
1. After installing the "cannot find metadata" error is back (I am targetting Framework 3.5). My last workaround (editing the common targets file manually doenst seem to work anymore).
2. When I run Entity Developer as standalone I get several error messages after loading a model:
  • Failed to initialize tool window "Document Outline"
    Failed to initialize tool window "Output"
    Failed to initialize tool window "Properties"
3. When I go to model properties and try to apply changes I get "The device is not ready." and I cannot apply changes.

Any tips are highly appreciated. I only upgraded to VS2010 after i read that entity developer was ready for it, so I am a bit disapointed....

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 19 Apr 2010 14:24

1. Could you please remove all Devart-specific custom build actions that you have previously added to the MSBuild directory? We have already changed this behaviour, these tasks are unnecessary now.
2. As for the tool window problem, please go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Devart\Entity Developer for SqlServer (or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Devart\Entity Developer for dotConnect in case you are using Entity Developer for dotConnect), delete all subkeys and reinstall the product.
3. If this problem persists after reinstall, please let us know the model location and the full stack trace of the error.

Fortis

Post by Fortis » Wed 28 Apr 2010 14:24

I did a reinstall and deleted the registry keys. Most problems are gone, however the metadata still doesnt get generated.
I have to use "CopyToOutputDirectory" and generate them with the standalone product and then add the generated files manually to the project.
How do I get the files embedded in the DLL of the project?

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 29 Apr 2010 15:30

Please check that there are no Devart entries in the following files and folder:
%Program Files%\MSBuild\v3.5\Custom.After.Microsoft.Common.targets;
%Program Files%\MSBuild\v4.0\Custom.After.Microsoft.Common.targets;
%Program Files%\MSBuild\Devart.
You'll have to reinstall once more after this operation.

Fortis

Post by Fortis » Fri 30 Apr 2010 13:18

Dude. The uninstaller simply deletes those files. You DO know that there are other tools out there that require an entry in one of those files?
Damn it

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 30 Apr 2010 13:51

Sorry for the inconvenience, this bug will be fixed in the nearest build.
InnoSetup by default deletes the file when it was created during installation, and it seems that you have installed
other tools, what use this file, after dotConnect.
As a temporary workaround, just create the file with the following conmtents before installing dotConnect.

Fortis

Post by Fortis » Fri 30 Apr 2010 14:43

Sorry I was a bit upset. So to recap:
I uninstalled Devart Entity Developer, it deleted the "Custom.After.Microsoft.Common.targets" files.
I then reinstalled Entity Developer and Postsharp.
Now my targets files look like:

Code: Select all

But still the Metaresources arent added to the dll. There is not even an indication that EntityDeveloper does something on build. Any ideas? Is there any debug log I can check? Thanks!

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 30 Apr 2010 15:47

Just a tip. Try to set the path to Devart\v3.5\Devart.Data.Entity.targets explicitly in the Common.targets file, for example "D:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Devart\v3.5\Devart.Data.Entity.targets".
Please let us know if the problem persists.