<Diagrams> Tag is Missing

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
skingaby

<Diagrams> Tag is Missing

Post by skingaby » Thu 04 Jun 2009 22:31

When the EDML file is saved, the only difference in the structure seems to be that this tag is missing:

Because this tag is missing, the EDML cannot be opened as an EDMX in the Entity Developer.

Two questions:
1) Do you have any plans to change your tool to work directly off the EDMX file?
2) Can you either a) leave the tag in the XML; or b) add it back in so that the EDML/X file can be opened in either DevArt Entity Designer or the MS Entity Designer?

Also, there is more going on here. The DevArt Entity Designer needs to preserve ALL the XML that has been added to the model, regardless of which tool added the XML.
I am using the IdeaBlade DevForce product to extend my Entity Framework layer. This tool, like yours, decorates the EDMX XML with its own tags and attributes. Your
designer needs to preserve their tags when it writes back the XML, please.

Here is my current model editing process for working with the Oracle-Devart-EntityFramework-Devforce stack:
1) Including an Entity Framework EDMX model in my ServerModelEF project.
2) Excluding, but having, a DevArt Entity Designer EDML model in that same ServerModelEF project.
3) Having a DevForce model in the ServerModel (not ServerModelEF) project.
4) The DevForce model is connected to the EDMX model.
5) When I need to edit the EF model, I copy the XML from the EDMX file to the EDML file, then I edit it in DevArt ED, then, when that is saved, I copy the XML back to the EDMX file EXCEPT I do not copy back the ... tag contents at the bottom as the EDML is missing the tag that the Entity Framework EDMX needs.
(Yes, this is tedious, but it seems to keep things straight.)
6) When the EDMX file is saved, DevForce notices and regenerates its generated code.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 05 Jun 2009 13:03

We will investigate the possibility of adding such functionality.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Wed 08 Jul 2009 09:14

The additional IdeaBlade attributes added using DevForce Object Mapper to the conceptual part of the model
will not be lost in the new version of Entity Developer.
We plan to add the functionality of saving the Entity Developer model in the .edmx format with the
tag soon, but no timeframe is available.

skingaby

Post by skingaby » Thu 16 Jul 2009 19:56

The new version preserves the Ideablade tags!!! Thank you! The tag is still being dropped which means I cannot just use the EDML / EDMX interchangably, which I would like to do. I shall look forward to that feature in a future release. Thanks for all you do!