EF Designer XML namespace issue

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Developer - ORM modeling and code generation tool
skingaby

EF Designer XML namespace issue

Post by skingaby » Mon 18 May 2009 20:36

When working with your EF driver and the IdeaBlade DevForce Silverlight RC2 product, their application framework sits on top of the Entity Framework, which your Entity Designer spits out. I was able to trick their tool into reading your .edml file as a .edmx file by simply renaming it, but when they wrote it back, they dropped the edmx: prefix from the Designer tags in the XML. I.e.:

vs. Your output is:

When examining the .edmx file that the ADO Entity Designer creates, it also drops the edmx: prefix from these elements.

The problem with this is that your Entity Designer fails to load the modified file because it can't find the edmx:Designer element.

Is this something you can change so that your designer's output matches the output from the ADO Entity Designer? Thanks.

skingaby

Workaround found, but still have a problem

Post by skingaby » Mon 18 May 2009 21:11

I posted a lengthy workaround for using the Devforce Object Mapper with the Devart Entity Developer on their forum: Devforce Support.
However, the problem remains that whenever they write out the edmx/edml file, they do not include the edmx: prefix in the , and tags. These tags are not prefixed in the Microsoft ADO Entity Designer either.
I would like to see: either a) Your Entity Developer is able to read both formats, or b) Your Entity Developer writes the tags without the prefix, the same as the Microsoft tool does.
Thanks,
Simon

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Wed 20 May 2009 12:20

The new build of Entity Developer will be able to work with both and tags,
and also with all tags without prefix