dbMonitor and connection pooling

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
sabbir

dbMonitor and connection pooling

Post by sabbir » Mon 25 Jun 2018 15:53

Hi,
I am new user for dbmonitor.i need a little bit understanding on dbmonitor. i often see that same Connections(keywords are same) are creationg different pools.Should not it use the existing connection or create the connection within the same pool? In devart, i always see each pool has one connection.i am attaching a image to make you understand.https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsUSBVUzSefxgTEnlxpTYVw0YESI

Please let me know.it will be very helpful

Best Regards
sabbir

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: dbMonitor and connection pooling

Post by Pinturiccio » Wed 27 Jun 2018 12:02

Could you please specify your two connection strings, which you consider the same, but they are placed to different pools? Please hide only host, user id and password parameters (these 3 parameters must be the same in both connection strings).

sabbir

Post by sabbir » Fri 29 Jun 2018 13:37

Hi Pinturiccio
Thanks for you reply
Here is the connectionstring which is going to different pools

In the Pools Area it is showing
User Id=xx;Host=xxx;Database=xxx
In the Event Area
User Id=xx;Password=xxx;Host=xxx;Database=TELLVI_OFFICE;Persist Security Info=True
and second one i kept in my web.config

Waiting for your reply

Best Regards
sabbir
Last edited by sabbir on Fri 29 Jun 2018 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 29 Jun 2018 14:01

Could you please provide the second connection which you consider the same but it is placed to another pool?

Please also note that you show host, user id, and password. You can edit your post and replace these values with ***.

sabbir

Post by sabbir » Fri 29 Jun 2018 16:30

That is also exactly the same
User Id=xx;Password=xxx;Host=xxx;Database=TELLVI_OFFICE;Persist Security Info=True

sabbir

Post by sabbir » Sat 30 Jun 2018 07:30

Is this a problem with the dbMonitor?

sabbir

Post by sabbir » Mon 02 Jul 2018 06:20

Hi Pinturiccio,
I am waiting here for your reply

thanks
sabbir

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 06 Jul 2018 14:08

Sorry for the late response. It is a strange behavior. Could you please create and send a small test project which reproduces the issue to us? Please also describe the steps we need to take to reproduce the issue and specify the moment when the issue occurs as well as the line in which the connection that is placed to another pool takes place.

sabbir

Post by sabbir » Thu 19 Jul 2018 14:55

Hi Pinturiccio
sorry for my late. It is difficult to generate the scenario in sample project.There are other two things i need to know,
In dbMonitor, SomeTimes i do not see any pool list in Object Tree panel, but in the Event Panel, i see 'Taking connection from connection pool', 'Connection is returned to pool' etc. what is the reason?

Sometimes, i see 'Disconnect' in Events panel like bellow
Close connection
Connection is returned to pool.Pool has 1 connection(s)
Disconnect

What the Disconnect is doing here ?

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Tue 24 Jul 2018 15:54

sabbir wrote:In dbMonitor, SomeTimes i do not see any pool list in Object Tree panel, but in the Event Panel, i see 'Taking connection from connection pool', 'Connection is returned to pool' etc. what is the reason?
It is a strange behaviour. Please send us a screenshot with described behaviour.
sabbir wrote:Sometimes, i see 'Disconnect' in Events panel like bellow
Close connection
Connection is returned to pool.Pool has 1 connection(s)
Disconnect

What the Disconnect is doing here ?
When you close a connection, the underlying physical connection is not closed, and is placed to the pool. However, when a physical connection is closed, dbMonitor should display the Disconnected status. There can be different reasons of closing a physical connection. A server could close it from its side. Or connection life time expired when placing the connection to the pool, and the physical connection is closed immediately after placing to the pool.

For more information, please refer to https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracl ... etime.html
This article is about dotConnect for Oracle, but it is applicable to all dotConnect providers.

sabbir

Post by sabbir » Thu 26 Jul 2018 13:04

Thanks Pinturiccio
i understand what you wrote for my second problem. First problem arises for the following scenario

i run DBMonitor and run application locally hosted in IIS .All the pools created shows in Object tree.
Then i strop running my application and clear the log.Then i run my application again. 1/2 pools created showing but Pools under Object Tree not show all pools.May be this is because some pools are already created in first step and so not showing in the second step?It that not right?

Best Regards
Sabbir

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Wed 01 Aug 2018 12:53

sabbir wrote:May be this is because some pools are already created in first step and so not showing in the second step?It that not right?
Yes, this behaviour does not look correct. Unfortunately we cannot reproduce such behaviour. Please also note that dbMonitor and the classes such as OracleMonitor, PgSqlMonitor, MySqlMonitor and the corresponding classes in other providers are intended only for debugging applications, and somewhat hamper application performance. We don't know which provider you use, so we are sending advice for dotConnect for Oracle. You can use performance counters with dotConnect for Oracle: https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracl ... nters.html

sabbir

Post by sabbir » Thu 02 Aug 2018 07:42

i am using dotConnect for MySql..thanks for your answer.Can you please give your suggestion in my another post
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37525

thanks
sabbir

filtersnobby

Post by filtersnobby » Sat 06 Oct 2018 04:55

sabbir wrote: Mon 25 Jun 2018 15:53 Hi,
I am new user for dbmonitor.i need a little bit understanding on dbmonitor. i often see that same Connections(keywords are same) are creationg different pools.Should not it use the existing connection or create the connection within the same pool? In devart, i always see each pool has one connection.i am attaching a image to make you understand.https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsUSBVUzSefxgTEnlxpTYVw0YESI

Please let me know.it will be very helpful

Best Regards
sabbir

Thanks for the link.