PostgreSQL tsrange Data Type Support in Entity Framework

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
cvboucher

PostgreSQL tsrange Data Type Support in Entity Framework

Post by cvboucher » Wed 05 Aug 2015 21:57

I have dotConnect for PostgreSQL Pro and in Visual Studio 2015 Community I used the Devart Entity Model template to generate a database first entity framework model. One of the table columns is a tsrange (range of timestamp without timezone) data type. This got generated as a string. Is this what is expected? It would be nice if I could work with this column with DateTime data types. Maybe a ColumnName.Lower and ColumnName.Upper. As it is now I have to format a string by doing a ToString("yyyy-MM-dd HH-mm-ss") on the DateTimes.

I see there is a PgSqlTimeStampRange class but it looks like it is only available if you are using the ADO.Net classes.

Thanks,
Craig

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: PostgreSQL tsrange Data Type Support in Entity Framework

Post by Shalex » Thu 06 Aug 2015 08:45

Entity Framework supports only primitive types: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee382832.aspx. From the Entity Framework's point of view, range types are not primitive.
cvboucher wrote:As it is now I have to format a string by doing a ToString("yyyy-MM-dd HH-mm-ss") on the DateTimes.
I see there is a PgSqlTimeStampRange class but it looks like it is only available if you are using the ADO.Net classes.
That is correct.