dotConnect for Oracle compatibility issue

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
Zerda

dotConnect for Oracle compatibility issue

Post by Zerda » Wed 22 Jan 2014 00:30

Hello,

Recently I have updated visual studio 2012 to UPDATE 4. It seems dotConnect for Oracle has a compatibility problem with it.

Steps to reprocedure
1. create an edmx file, which contains TableA.

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE TableA (
  Col1 VARCHAR2(9) PRIMARY KEY,
  Col2 VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL
);
2. modify database with following sql.

ALTER TABLE TableA MODIFY Col2 VARCHAR2(12) NULL;
3. update this edmx file in visual studio model explorer.

Expected
SSDL and CSDL definition in this edmx file should be updated according to database change.

Actual
SSDL definition is updated rightly, but CSDL is not.

COL2 in CSDL still remain to

Nullable="false" MaxLength="20"
it should be

Nullable="true" MaxLength="12"
BTW, it works well with VS2012 RTM.

I have send you same issue from Contact Form yesterday, but didn't get any response, so I reposted here. sorry about the duplication.

Thank you for your attention.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: dotConnect for Oracle compatibility issue

Post by Shalex » Thu 23 Jan 2014 14:20

We have reproduced the issue. This behaviour is designed for EDM Designer/Wizard in Visual Studio 2012 Update 4. Please contact the Microsoft support team.

As a workaround, please use Entity Developer (the Devart Entity Model item, *.edml).

Zerda

Post by Zerda » Fri 24 Jan 2014 11:33

Thanks for the response.

I have done more tests, VS2013 RTM and VS2013 UPDATE 1 also have this issue too.

Where is the right place I can talk to Microsoft, the Entity Framework CodePlex website, Visual Studio Forums?

I really don't know the EDM Designer is belong to Entity Framework or Visual Studio.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 28 Jan 2014 11:41

Zerda wrote:Where is the right place I can talk to Microsoft, the Entity Framework CodePlex website, Visual Studio Forums?
Please report the problem at both Entity Framework CodePlex website and Visual Studio Forums. Additionally, describe the issue at stackoverflow.com.

We recommend using Entity Developer (the Devart Entity Model item, *.edml) instead of EDM Wizard/Designer (the ADO.NET Entity Data Model, *.edmx): http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/ed-vs-edm.html.

Zerda

Post by Zerda » Thu 31 Jul 2014 02:07

After lots of tests, we finally got a clue.

Before VS2012 UPDATE4,Entity Designer always sends SynchronizePropertyFacets=True to dotConnect Oracle Provider somehow. But after UPDATE4, it sends this value according to the relative property in EDMX file.

If we set Update Property Facets(SynchronizePropertyFacets) = False in Entity Designer (DB First default value), CSDL will not be updated; otherwise, CSDL will be updated correctly.