EDMX switch between Oracle and SQL Server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
anggi.wijaya

EDMX switch between Oracle and SQL Server

Post by anggi.wijaya » Thu 04 Oct 2012 09:41

Hi all, I am relatively new to this EDMX/Entity Framework thing. I would like to know if there is a capability for dotConnect Oracle EDMX generated files to be used with SQL Server, say I want to switch to SQL Server, assuming the database schema will be exactly the same?

Thanks in advance :D (sorry for my bad english)

anggi.wijaya

Re: EDMX switch between Oracle and SQL Server

Post by anggi.wijaya » Fri 05 Oct 2012 10:32

is this thing possible with "dotconnect universal" ?
can I create one EDMX file, and then change the connection string and provider at deployment to switch from oracle or sqlserver database?

please help? anyone?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: EDMX switch between Oracle and SQL Server

Post by Shalex » Tue 09 Oct 2012 13:27

anggi.wijaya wrote:I would like to know if there is a capability for dotConnect Oracle EDMX generated files to be used with SQL Server, say I want to switch to SQL Server, assuming the database schema will be exactly the same?
Usage of SQL Server and Oracle simultaneously in one application can be implemented in the following three alternative ways:
1. Creating repositories for 2 models
2. Using mapping which is loaded dynamically:
2.1. With 2 *.edmx. Only one of them generates the code of model and entity classes, another one is used as a source of XML resources (example: http://www.devart.com/efquerysamples.zip)
2.2. Only one model and database independent fluent mapping: http://www.devart.com/blogs/dotconnect/ ... plate.html
anggi.wijaya wrote:is this thing possible with "dotconnect universal" ?
dotConnect Universal doesn't support Entity Framework.
We recommend you using the following providers: dotConnect for Oracle (Devart.Data.Oracle) and .NET Framework Data Provider for SQL Server (System.Data.SqlClient).