"Custom Tool" Blank for Entity Model

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
r.m.saddler

"Custom Tool" Blank for Entity Model

Post by r.m.saddler » Thu 24 Nov 2011 12:14

Hi,

I am having HELLS delight with the latest version of dotConnect for Oracle (650 pro). Aside from my other (still unanswered) open ticket my model has now become completely unusable:

1) SHOW-STOPPER : Whenever I make any changes to the model they aren't reflected in the generated .cs file. I have tried changing the Model Generation Template to something else and then back to EntityObject but this has no effect. On further investigation I can see that the Custom Tool property for the .edml file is blank and there is no way for me to set it back to DevartEfGenerator. I suspect this is why the files are not being regenerated but I have no idea why this association has been lost. Update Model From Database and all other diagram related tools work fine though.

If I create a brand new model it seems to work OK. This is not an option for me though as I have made hundreds of customisations to the model after adding the database tables to it.

2) NOT A SHOW STOPPER BUT SUPER INCONVENIENT : When I open the Model Diagram it opens in a super thin panel down the left side of the screen and a grey panel to it's right. There are no drag handles or anything to resize and pin the window. The only way I can overcome this is to grab the tab, pull it to the middle of the screen and the re-anchro it in the center pane. When I shut the model down and reopen it I have to repeat the process. It doesn't remember my changes.

Please shed some light on this ASAP. I am happy to open a join.me session for you to try this live.

I have quite literally come to a complete stand still.

Thanks,

Rob.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 24 Nov 2011 13:57

r.m.saddler wrote:When I open the Model Diagram it opens in a super thin panel down the left side of the screen and a grey panel to it's right.
This is a known problem for the x64 environment. It was fixed in the latest builds of dotConnect for Oracle. Please upgrade to 6.50.250 and notify us about the results.
r.m.saddler wrote:On further investigation I can see that the Custom Tool property for the .edml file is blank and there is no way for me to set it back to DevartEfGenerator.
If the problem persits with 6.50.250 as well, describe the problem. Is the Custom Tool field of grey colour (inactive)? Or is it reset to blank right after setting it?

r.m.saddler

Post by r.m.saddler » Thu 24 Nov 2011 14:28

OK I Have upgraded to 6.50.250 and it still shows the model in a thin window with a wdie grey panel to it's right hand side.

Regarding the Custom Tool property it was greyed out and blank. I couldn't edit it.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 24 Nov 2011 15:07

Please confirm that the problem with the Custom Tool property is solved now.
r.m.saddler wrote:it still shows the model in a thin window with a wdie grey panel to it's right hand side.
We are investigating the issue.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 25 Nov 2011 16:07

r.m.saddler wrote:it still shows the model in a thin window with a wdie grey panel to it's right hand side.
The bug with diagram representation in x64 environment is fixed. We will post here when the next version of Entity Developer is released.

Please confirm that the problem with the Custom Tool property is solved now.

r.m.saddler

Post by r.m.saddler » Mon 28 Nov 2011 12:15

Hi, yes, that bug now seems to have disappeared.

r.m.saddler

Post by r.m.saddler » Mon 28 Nov 2011 12:26

Ah... I spoke to soon. Whilst it is OK for me, anyone else who opens the project gets a blank custom tool, even after they upgrade to 650.250?

They are on 32 bit machines and mine is 64bit. Does this matter?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 28 Nov 2011 15:54

r.m.saddler wrote:Whilst it is OK for me, anyone else who opens the project gets a blank custom tool, even after they upgrade to 650.250?

We cannot reproduce the issue at the moment.
1. Please specify the Properties > Build > Platform target setting of your project.
2. Make sure that versions of Visual Studio and dotConnect for Oracle on both x64 and x86 workstations are the same.
3. Does the problem persist with all models or only with a particular one?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 09 Dec 2011 17:07

We have implemented some changes concerning diagram representation in x64 environment. Could you please try the new (6.60.258) version of dotConnect for Oracle? Looking forward to your reply.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 25 Jan 2012 08:37

r.m.saddler, could you please tell us if the problem with diagram representation in x64 environment is fixed (current version is 6.60.283)?

r.m.saddler

Post by r.m.saddler » Mon 30 Jan 2012 08:58

The diagram representation is fixed but the problem with the blank custom tool setting for the model still persists for all others who try to use it (I am 64 bit, they are not). In answer to your other questions regarding this matter:

1. Please specify the Properties > Build > Platform target setting of your project:

- Building against .NET Framework 4
- Config = Any CPU

2. Make sure that versions of Visual Studio and dotConnect for Oracle on both x64 and x86 workstations are the same.

- Yes, they are.

3. Does the problem persist with all models or only with a particular one?

- Any models in this project.

Would a join.me session help you here?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 30 Jan 2012 17:44

r.m.saddler wrote:Whilst it is OK for me, anyone else who opens the project gets a blank custom tool, even after they upgrade to 650.250?

Could you please try creating a new model in your x86 environment? Is the Custom Tool property active and set correctly in this case?

r.m.saddler

Post by r.m.saddler » Wed 01 Feb 2012 12:13

Hi,

- creating a new model in the x86 environment works fine.
- The Custom Tool property is active and set correctly.
- I can right click and Run Custom Tool OK too.

Is it an option for you to remote into the machine via a join.me session to invesitgate? This has been causing us problems for months now.

Thanks.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 02 Feb 2012 12:50

Please send us a smalll test model (with the problem) - we will try to open it in our x86 environment.