Manually inserting primary key with fluent mapping

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
esben

Manually inserting primary key with fluent mapping

Post by esben » Mon 05 Sep 2011 12:36

Hi

I have created an entity model in Entity Developer and code is generated using the dbcontext template with "fluent" and "database independent" attributes set to true.

In that model I have an entity called "RetailerCategory" and the generated fluent mapping seems to be just fine.

Something along these lines (relevant parts only):

Code: Select all

modelBuilder.Entity()
                .HasKey(p => new { p.RetailerCategory_Id })
                .ToTable("KAKATEGORIER", "dbschema");
            // Properties:
            modelBuilder.Entity()
                .Property(p => p.RetailerCategory_Id)
                    .IsRequired();
I have not configured any sequence, trigger use or anything else since i want to manually insert the primary key (Id).

However if I try to add a new instance of the "RetailerCategory" entity (with an Id set manually) to the context and save changes I get an Oracle error, saying the value cannot be null.

That is not so strange because the SQL (taken from DbMonitor) looks like this:

Code: Select all

DECLARE
  updatedRowid ROWID;
BEGIN
INSERT INTO dbschema.KAKATEGORIER(KAKODE, KATEXT, KAPROVKODE, KAPAKKAVGIFT, KAEDAT, KASIGN, KADGRFORFALL, KAFASTFORFALL, KAINSTITUSJON)
VALUES (:p0, :p1, NULL, :p2, NULL, NULL, :p3, NULL, NULL)
RETURNING ROWID INTO updatedRowid;
OPEN :outParameter FOR SELECT RetailerCategory_Id FROM infosoft.KAKATEGORIER WHERE ROWID = updatedRowid;
END;
The above code has no mention of the primary key (with columnname RetailerCategory_Id) in the insert part.

So how do I go about manually inserting the primary key when using database independent fluentmapping?

esben

Post by esben » Tue 06 Sep 2011 08:28

Just a bit of info on why I need this.

We have serveral import procedures, and deduplication procedures where we need to specifiy an ID (validated by something else to be valid) - in those cases we cannot rely on the triggers and we would rather not have to jump out into "ordinary" sql in order to get it right.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 06 Sep 2011 13:34

Please try to turn off IdKeyDiscoveryConvention:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 03%29.aspx.

esben

Post by esben » Wed 07 Sep 2011 06:59

Unfortunately that did not do a whole lot to the behavior, the generated SQL is still the same.

esben

Post by esben » Wed 07 Sep 2011 07:06

It did however lead me to a solution.

Disabling StoreGeneratedIdentityKeyConvention solves the problem.

I have yet to determine if has any other effect but so far the problem seems to be solved.

If you know of any "ill" side effects of disabling this convention I would be glad to hear it before I stumble upon them on my own.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 08 Sep 2011 10:23

You are right. Disabling StoreGeneratedIdentityKeyConvention is correct. There are no "ill" side effects.