Questions about DevArt dotConnect for Oracle Professional

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
Mig70

Post by Mig70 » Thu 04 Aug 2011 12:44

Hello guys,

We are using version 6 of your component/provider dotConnect for Oracle Professional and I have two questions for you:

1.- Does your component/provider does allow this kind of search?:

WHERE
COMPANY Like '%FERRARI%'

I am asking you this because we are also using Entity Framework 4 and we've been informed that version 4 does not support "Full Text Search", so we wat to be sure your component/provider does.

2.- We are having problems while creating entity data models.
we are having different behaviours depending on the operating system we have installed in our development Pcs

- In PCs with Windows 7, everythime we try to create an Entity Data Model with only two tables, the component/provider, creates a Data Model with all the tables in the database instead of creating it with only the two tables selected.

- In PCs with Windows XP SP3, the model is not created at all, and we get an error message:

An error occurred while executing the command definition. See the inner exception for details.
Can't found project

Any ideas on how We could solve these problems?

Thank you all

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 05 Aug 2011 15:39

1. What do you mean saying "Full Text Search"?

a) Entity Framework does not support Oracle Text (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B141 ... cktour.htm);

b) if you are interested in the query like SELECT * FROM Orders WHERE COMPANY Like '%FERRARI%' - this is a LINQ to Entities query like context.Orders.Where(o => o.Company.Contains("FERRARI")). If you need a filter which can be more complicated, you can construct it manually:
string filter = "%FE__A_I%";
context.Orders.Where(o => Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.OracleFunctions.Like(o.Company, filter))

(the latest case is available in dotConnect for Oracle starting from the 6.30 version).

2. Seems like you are using old version of dotConnect for Oracle in Visual Studio 2010. Upgrade to the latest version of dotConnect for Oracle (6.30.196) to fix the issue with Entity Data Model Wizard in VS 2010. As an alternative, you can create Entity Framework models in Entity Developer - add the "Devart Entity Model" item to your project.

Mig70

Questions about DevArt dotConnect for Oracle P

Post by Mig70 » Mon 08 Aug 2011 12:20

Hello Shalex,

Thank you for answering.
What I meant is if your comopnent/provider support queries like:

SELECT * FROM Orders WHERE COMPANY Like '%FERRARI%'

Via ADO.Net

Thank you again

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 09 Aug 2011 16:28

Yes, you can execute this query via OracleCommand.

Mig70

Post by Mig70 » Wed 10 Aug 2011 10:42

That's all I needed to know (by now..)

Thank you guys!