We are glad to announce the new features that are available in the Entity Framework support in the new releases of our providers.
In the new versions of Devart dotConnect ADO.NET providers for Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite we have significantly extended functional abilities of Entity Framework by maximally fulfilling requests made by our users, including those received via our new UserVoice. Our users mainly requested new functional features, more flexibility in behavior and configuration as well as better performance.
To increase performance, we provide the functionality of flexibly configured Batch Updates, give our users the possibility of configuring individual aspects of INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE operations and make it possible to disable SQL-formatting.
To make software more flexible, we enable the users to additionally configure the behavior for dynamic database creation/deletion, which is quite important after the release of EF 4.1 (Code-First).
Besides, as a workaround for the commonest situations, the users can exclude the schema (database) name from generated DDL and DML SQL commands and disable identifier quoting.
To facilitate the process of development and to cease using simple INSERT triggers that set values of Identity columns, we make it possible to use database-specific functions as Default Value when inserting records into tables.
The LINQ to Entities string column search functionality has been extended - now you may call the full-featured database-specific LIKE function instead of using three different methods StartsWith(), Contains(), and EndsWith().
We have implemented the possibility of saving manually defined StoreGeneratedPattern of columns in the model's storage part, so that now the users of dotConnect for Oracle do not have to set StoreGeneratedPattern manually every time Update from Database Wizard is run in Visual Studio 2008/2010.
In dotConnect for Oracle we have added a possibility to change the default NUMBER mapping to .NET types when creating an Entity Framework model with Entity Data Model Wizard. The NUMBER mapping can be set with the NumberMappings connection string parameter.
If you need another Entity Framework support feature in our providers, visit our forum at UserVoice and vote for suggested features or suggest your own one.
Here is the complete list of the new Entity Framework support features:
- Batch Updates support is added
- Adjustable SQL Formatting for DML commands is added
- Ability to configure the NULL values inserting behaviour is added
- IgnoreSchemaName workaround (mainly for Code First) is added
- DisableQuoting workaround is added
- Support for MySqlFunctions.Like/OracleFunctions.Like/PgSqlFunctions.Like/SQLiteFunctions.Like (including LINQ to Entities) is added
- Configurable database deletion and creation support is added
- Number Mappings support in Entity Data Model Wizard and Update From Database Wizard is added (Oracle)
- Multiple Include support is improved (Oracle)
- The handling of the StoreGeneratedPattern in Update From Database Wizard is improved (Oracle)
- The bug with Entity Framework configurability is fixed
- The bug with Optimistic Concurrency is fixed (SQLite)