Update Wizard Very Slow?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
Post Reply
quip85673456
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon 18 Apr 2011 16:37

Update Wizard Very Slow?

Post by quip85673456 » Mon 18 Apr 2011 16:43

I'm working on a new model and last week the update wizard was working fine, but today it doesn't seem to do anything.

Note: This is using the 'ADO.NET Entity Data Model', not the Devart Entity Model.

I right-click on the model and choose "update model from database" and I get the dialog but it stays at "retrieving database information, please wait..."

It has been over 30 minutes.

The database is not very big, maybe 40 tables. I am only working with about 6 of them.

I did update to the latest version (6.10.135.0), but that doesn't seem to help. Any ideas on what I could do to see if it is working?? or to fix it??


UPDATE:::
I have rebooted and tried again a few times. I did get this error message:

An error occurred while connecting to the database. The database might be unavailable. An exception of type 'System.Data.EntityCommandExecutionException' occurred. The error message is: 'An error occurred while reading from the store provider's data reader. See the inner exception for details. The inner exception caught was of type 'Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleException', with this error message: 'ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel Process ID: 0 Session ID: 254 Serial number: 1806'.'.

I am able to connect just fine to that database with tools like Toad and sql plus. The 'test connection' button works too. The error came after about 1 or 2 minutes of trying to update the model.

UPDATE #2:
Coworker is having the same problem. Can't use the update wizard at all. Even a brand new project and brand new model, the update wizard never comes back with database tables.

But if I add a new item, and choose the "Devart Entity Model", that works just fine, for new and for updating.
Last edited by quip85673456 on Mon 18 Apr 2011 18:19, edited 3 times in total.

AndreyR
Devart Team
Posts: 2919
Joined: Mon 07 Jul 2008 13:16

Post by AndreyR » Tue 19 Apr 2011 12:51

Could you please specify the full Visual Studio version?
Do you have any Service Pack for Visual Studio installed?
What is the Entity Framework version (for .NET 3.5 or .NET 4.0)?
Update. Please check that the Oracle user you are connecting with does not have any unnecessary grants or system privileges like DBA. The more objects this user can select from, the slower the wizard will work. You can find some more information in our documentation.

AdR
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed 02 Nov 2011 08:26

Post by AdR » Wed 02 Nov 2011 08:31

Hi,

Was a solution found to this error? We appear to be getting the same error, affecting multiple machines, when attempting to update the EF Model.

VS 2010 Premium, SP1, EF 4.0.

Thanks.

Shalex
Site Admin
Posts: 8241
Joined: Thu 14 Aug 2008 12:44

Post by Shalex » Fri 04 Nov 2011 15:12

1. Tell us the exact (x.xx.xxx) version of your dotConnect for Oracle (the Tools > Oracle > About menu of VS).
2. Why don't you use Entity Developer (the Devart Entity Model template)? This tool is adjusted for working with Oracle metadata.

quip85673456
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon 18 Apr 2011 16:37

Post by quip85673456 » Fri 04 Nov 2011 15:17

AdR wrote:Hi,

Was a solution found to this error? We appear to be getting the same error, affecting multiple machines, when attempting to update the EF Model.

VS 2010 Premium, SP1, EF 4.0.

Thanks.
The solution for us was to remove the "DBA" role that had been granted to the user - so the solution was what devart suggested:
AndreyR wrote:Please check that the Oracle user you are connecting with does not have any unnecessary grants or system privileges like DBA.

AdR
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed 02 Nov 2011 08:26

Post by AdR » Fri 11 Nov 2011 05:13

We were actually experiencing the issue noted in original posts update regarding 'ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication..'. A reinstall of Oracle 11g XE (previous to the September release) temporarily fixed it for an unspecified period of time. However, we have now installed Oracle XE 11g Release 2 and have not seen the issue since.

For reference:
The user we are using only has minimal permissions already, no "DBA" role.

Code: Select all

-- USER SQL
CREATE USER abc
    IDENTIFIED BY abc
    DEFAULT TABLESPACE USERS;

-- ROLES
GRANT "RESOURCE" TO abc;
GRANT "CONNECT" TO abc;
ALTER USER abc DEFAULT ROLE "CONNECT", "RESOURCE";

-- PERMISSIONS
GRANT CREATE TABLE TO abc;
GRANT CREATE SEQUENCE TO abc;
GRANT CREATE TRIGGER TO abc;
GRANT CREATE PROCEDURE TO abc;
GRANT CREATE VIEW TO abc;
1. dotConnect for Oracle 6.30.196.0.
2. Ill take it up the line and see what comes of it :)

Appears to be more of an Oracle issue but am happy this is now working fine. Thanks for the guidance.

Post Reply