Can't generate an entity model from database

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
baptisd

Can't generate an entity model from database

Post by baptisd » Mon 31 Jan 2011 21:35

When trying to generate an edm from my database (step four in http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... html#model). I am getting an 'ORA 12154: TNS: Could not resolve the connect identifier specified.'

I get this error as soon as I click 'Ok'.

If I choose 'Direct' mode, then I can supply the SID and the connection test succeeds, but when I click 'Ok', I get an error that says 'The given key was not present in the dictionary.' and the connection is not saved.

Need Help. I am evaluating EF enabled 3rd party provider options.

Here is my genearal configuration:
VS 2010 Professional
Windows 7 64 bit
Oracle 10.2.0.1.0
(more info upon request)

I have the correct Oracle client installed. The TNS names file should also be fine (other applications such as SQL Developer are using it). I need assitance asap so I can proceed with a product recommendation/choice.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 01 Feb 2011 13:25

Do you have any third-party ADO.NET Data Providers installed?

baptisd

3rd Party Provider

Post by baptisd » Tue 01 Feb 2011 14:49

Hello and thanks for the response. I had installed Progress Data Direct Oracle provider, but I removed it before I installed the Devart provider in my 'Add and Remove Programs' in the control panel. I tried restarting my machine, but I still get the same errors. Is there a file, set of files, or registry/variable setting that needs to be manually removed or altered?

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Wed 02 Feb 2011 14:55

Try to clear the cached Server Explorer view (it seems to be corrupt).
Go to %Application Data%\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ServerExplorer\ and delete the DefaultView.SEView file.