dotConnect for MySql, Silverlight 4 and RIA Services

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
sebdev

dotConnect for MySql, Silverlight 4 and RIA Services

Post by sebdev » Thu 18 Mar 2010 08:46

Hi,

We are trying the last trial version of the dotConnect for MySql in our test environment.
We are interested in the product and may invest for our developers.
We are trying to create a Silverlight 4 Buisness Application with RIA Services, using the Domain Service Class of the .NET.

Our environments are :
- MySql community server v5.1.44 for the database environment.
- Visual Studio 2010 RC.
- .NET 4 Microsoft Framework
- Entity Framework 4
- DevArt dotConnect for MySQL 5.70 Beta Professional Trial.

The problem occurs when we try to get the Object Context into the Entity context window.
We cannot see the entity we created with the designer, but Visual Studio can find the data contexts, as you can see on this picture :

If it could help, I followed the instructions in this tutorial to create a Silverlight 4 Buisness Application with RIA Services :

http://silverlight.net/learn/videos/all ... udio-2010/

Does anyone have an idea on that issue ?
Thanks in advance.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Tue 23 Mar 2010 16:00

I have successfully added the DomainService class using the upcoming build of dotConnect for Oracle.
I recommend you to wait for it to be released.

cjbiggs

Post by cjbiggs » Wed 24 Mar 2010 15:30

I was able to add a DomainService using dotConnect for Postgres.

AndreyR,

Sebdev is using MySQL, so waiting for an Oracle build/release will not help them.

Sebdev,

Is your EDMx file in a separate assembly or in the same project as the DomainService class you are creating? I had the same problem when I had my EDMx file in a my DAL assembly, so I had to include it again in my project containing my DomainService classes. But Microsoft fixed this issue if you move to Silverlight 4 RC. The problem existed in Silverlight 4 CTP/Beta/Preview. I verified this on my application and reduced the EDMX file from my RIA Library and only had it in my DAL assembly.

Thanks,

Charlie J.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 25 Mar 2010 15:06

Thank you for the comment, Charlie.
I was meaning MySQL build, we release all our products simultaneously.

sebdev

Post by sebdev » Fri 26 Mar 2010 15:01

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for the responses.
I finally found what was the problem (not a bug) : by default, the EDMX I created directly using Visual Studio has "dbo" for property "Database Schema Name", and the "DDL Generation Template" was set to SSDLToSQL10.tt instead of DevartSSDLToMySql.tt, like the screenshot above :

Setting my database name and the appropriate template correct the problem and I can now create the Domain Service Class.
Thanks again, have a nide day.

Zaphod

Having same issue, except with Oracle provider

Post by Zaphod » Fri 26 Mar 2010 15:07

Hi,
I'm in the same situation... I'm currently evaluating Devart Connector for my company and am unable to proceed because the RIA services cannot see the entities. I am usng Devart for Oracle 5.60 beta Professional Trial, VS2010 RC1, Silverlight 4.

1) Am I correct in understanding this is a known issue with no currently available workaround?
2) When is a version that supports this configuration expected?
3) Will it support both edml and edmx, or just edmx?
4) Would it be possible to get a trial extension, if necessary, since it looks like I can't proceed with the evaluation until the new release is out.

Thanks!

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Mon 29 Mar 2010 13:39

1. There is currently no support for .edml models and RIA Services.
2. We are working on it, but no timeframe is available.
3. There is support for .edmx now and we are investigating the possibility to add .edml support.
4. Yes, trial extensions are possible, you should contact our support either using our forums or using e-mail, you will get the build on request.

cjbiggs

Post by cjbiggs » Tue 26 Oct 2010 23:03

Is Item #1 still not support. Are edml models and RIA Services supported in dotConnect for Postgres 4.95.180.0?

Posted: Mon 29 Mar 2010 13:39 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. There is currently no support for .edml models and RIA Services.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Fri 29 Oct 2010 12:45

We don't provide support for Visual Stdio 2010 RC.
I have made some tests with VS 2010 RTM, the requested functionality is available.

cjbiggs

Post by cjbiggs » Fri 29 Oct 2010 15:28

Great Thanks. I was just making sure.