Empty Data Model

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
shaneda

Empty Data Model

Post by shaneda » Thu 11 Jun 2009 14:44

I am evaluating your product and while trying to go through the tutorial on using the entity framework I do not get a model. I get the following error along with 100 messages (mostly about return data type PL/SQL xxx is not supported):

ERROR: Unable to generate model because of the following exception: 'Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
'.
Loading metadata from database took 00:00:21.2862334.
Generating model took 00:00:12.2557841.
Writing out the EDMX file took 00:00:00.

Any suggestions?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 12 Jun 2009 08:27

As we understand, you work with Oracle using EDM Wizard in Visual Studio 2008. Please specify the full version of Oracle server (x.x.x.x). Try selecting only few tables, or connect with another user's credentials. Does the problem persist in this case too? If you manage to identify the objects or schemas which have the mentioned problem, please post their script here or send it to us by e-mail (support*devart*com).

The model can be created with the help of our Entity Developer (right click on a project in Solution Explorer, New Item -> Devart Entity Model). Entity Developer has more functionality than standard design-time tools of Visual Studio 2008, it also adjusts the model to the features of a particular database.