Transaction Scope and Invalid SID error

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
robymes

Transaction Scope and Invalid SID error

Post by robymes » Wed 04 Feb 2009 14:34

Hello,
Entity Framework based on dotConnect for Oracle 5.00.20, Oracle Express 10g, Windows 2003 Server, DTC service.
I have a WCF service method that starts a transaction with TransactionScope.
During transaction it recalls several other services that start an ObjectContext each. I receive always an exception which says "NET: Invalid SID".
I made a small project with a test to reproduce the situation, and I got always the same error: during transaction, after some ObjectContext creations, at SaveChenges it seems the provider cannot open the connection and throws that exception.

Thanks

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Thu 05 Feb 2009 12:09

Could you please check your connection string? SID value should correspond to the SERVICE_ID from the tnsnames.ora file.
Also, please send me (support * devart * com with subject "Transaction Scope and invalid SID error") your small test project,
I'll try to check out the problem.

robymes

Post by robymes » Fri 06 Feb 2009 08:56

Just a few details:
the problem isn't the SID name, the SID is correct, the connection is in direct mode.
The problem, more precisely, is:
in a transaction scope everything goes well until the number of queries is low, if the number of queries increases (there's no rule about how many), the provider starts to raise the invalid sid exception.
with query I mean a using statement with a new objectcontext (so in the transaction scope you have several times a creation and a dispose of an objectcontext).
As you suggest I sent you an email with the project

Thanks

chalucha

Post by chalucha » Wed 27 May 2009 09:06

Any news with this? We have exactly the same problem with the direct mode connection string.

AndreyR
Devart Team

Post by AndreyR » Wed 27 May 2009 13:57

The problem may be associated with the large number of open connections.
In fact, while TransactionScope is completed or disposed, no connections in it are closed - this is the designed behaviour.