Entity support & SDO_GEOMETRY?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding Entity Framework support in ADO.NET Data providers
LocalJoost

Entity support & SDO_GEOMETRY?

Post by LocalJoost » Sat 08 Nov 2008 16:56

After some difficulties I got the Entity Framework support running and I was very happy to see version 4.75 generate a model for my data. With the exception of SDO_GEOMETRY.

Since SDO_GEOMETRY is not quite a recent addition to Oracle, to say that I am surprised by this omission is an understatement. The primary - not to say only - reason we use OraDirect.NET is that it supports geometries (and System.Data.OracleClient does not). Then why in the world doesn't it support it inside an Entity model? There's more to the world than plain old tabular data!

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 10 Nov 2008 10:42

SDO_GEOMETRY is an object type. There is no support for complex types in Entity Framework V1.

LocalJoost

Post by LocalJoost » Mon 10 Nov 2008 13:29

Shalex wrote:SDO_GEOMETRY is an object type. There is no support for complex types in Entity Framework V1.
Ye gods. So I suppose neither are the spatial types in SQLServer 2008 supported? How about posting an example as how to handle complex types manually with the Entity framework? I mean, if the framework does not support it, fine, but is there away around it?

LocalJoost

Post by LocalJoost » Mon 10 Nov 2008 20:06

Shalex wrote:SDO_GEOMETRY is an object type. There is no support for complex types in Entity Framework V1.
Shalex,
I found out that the Entity Framework does not even support SQLServer2008's native geometry types. So I cannot blame you guys for not doing either. If you know any workaround, will still be very grateful.