Devart.data.postgresSQL license issue when pushing code to AWS server

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
brad2575

Devart.data.postgresSQL license issue when pushing code to AWS server

Post by brad2575 » Fri 06 May 2022 13:40

Hello,

I am having the error posted below when running code in AWS hosted server. Everything works fine locally.

I found multiple steps in the forums to try to fix this but none of them are working for me. I have a website I publish to a server (pushing all the files up and building on the server). On the server I get the error below.

Please let me know what other information you need for me to get this to work.

I am using in my project:
Devart.Data.PostgreSql v4.0.30319
Devart.Data v4.0.30319

.NET framework 4.7.2

Exception Type : LicenseException

Error Message : Feature is not supported. This error is thrown by Devart .NET Standard assemblies if license key validation fails. Possible reasons: 1. License key is not found, refer to the "Licensing .NET Standard (.NET Core) Projects" article in the product documentation. 2. Your product edition (the key was generated for) doesn't support the feature you are trying to use, refer to the editions matrix. 3. Your key is outdated for using the current product version, renew the license key in the Customer Portal.

Error Source : Devart.Data.PostgreSql

DmitryGm
Devart Team

Re: Devart.data.postgresSQL license issue when pushing code to AWS server

Post by DmitryGm » Mon 09 May 2022 06:32

The current implementation of dotConnect for PostgreSQL includes two sets of assemblies:

1) the .NET Framework Devart.* assemblies which are shipped with installation:
* assemblies are created in C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\ , GAC 2.0 (C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\), GAC 4.0 (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\)
* licensing approach is described at https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... nsing.html

2) the .NET Standard (.NET Core) Devart.* assemblies which are available via NuGet:
* licensing approach is described at https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... ndard.html

The Error Message shows that you are trying to use NuGet packages. But with .NET Framework projects, please use .NET Framework Devart.* assemblies (C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\PostgreSQL\).

brad2575

Post by brad2575 » Mon 09 May 2022 12:58

Thank You for the information.

So what I should need to do is grab the .dlls from the directory you posted (where they were installed on my machine) and reference those (NOT using NUGET).

Then when I publish the website to the cloud using these DLL's from path above that should resolve the licensing issue?

Or if I can run the installer on the server and/or in the docker container that would take care of it as well/the same way by using the installed versions.

DmitryGm
Devart Team

Post by DmitryGm » Tue 10 May 2022 17:25

Yes, for the .NET Framework projects you should use the assemblies shipped with the installation of dotConnect for PostgreSQL.

For an existing project, also run Build -> Clean before including assemblies to avoid using old wrong dependencies.

The licensing approach is described at https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... nsing.html

To deploy applications written with dotConnect for PostgreSQL you should register run-time assemblies Devart.Data.PostgreSql.dll and Devart.Data.dll at Global Assembly Cache (GAC) for appropriate framework or place them in the folder of your application (Bin folder for web projects). These two assemblies should be available in all applications written with dotConnect for PostgreSQL. Make sure that your project contains the license resource as it is described in Licensing.

See here for more details:
https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postg ... yment.html