Devart is glad to announce the release of the new version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL, enhanced database connectivity solution, built over the ADO.NET architecture, that supports Entity Framework and LinqConnect ORM solutions. New dotConnect for PostgreSQL offers you new improved Entity Developer 4.2 and enhanced Entity Framework support.
Entity Developer Improvements
The new version of Entity Developer offers you a number of options to configure Entity Developer appearance and behaviour in the new Options dialog box and advanced support for entity property validation.
This dialog box allows you to tweak rules for mapping database data types to .NET types for different databases. It provides great flexibility of data type mappings. You can create, edit, or delete rules for each data type and even create subrules for different type precision, scale, or length values. For example, by default varchar(1) is mapped to the string, however you may want to map it to the char type. Now you can easily map this data type as you prefer. The new dialog box is available from the Tools menu.
In addition, now Entity Developer provides advanced suppport for entity property validation. It supports Enterprise Library, NHibernate Validator, and Data Annotations validation frameworks. Entity Developer eliminates the need to manually place the validation attributes in the generated code. You just need to select the preferred validation framework and set validation parameters, such as max value, min value, max length, min length, regular expression, or to select one of the predefined property formats. After this Entity Developer will generate validation attributes for entity properties in the generated code. Later you may choose another validation framework, and Entity Developer will generate correct validation attributes for the new framework automatically.
The new Options dialog box also allows you to set custom keyboard shortcuts for the most often performed operations in Entity Developer and specify the default appearance and printing settings for your project diagrams.
Entity Framework Support Improvements
In the new version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL we have changed behaviour of the Database.Delete code-first method to disable constraints when deleting database object and added more options to manage LIKE behaviour when using Linq to Entities extention methods .Contains() .EndsWith() .StartsWith().
Here is the complete list of dotConnect for PostgreSQL 5.60.258 features:
- The bug with redundant backslashes in text parameters of unprepared commands is fixed
- The bug with inserting both sides of a one-to-one relationship is fixed
- Capability for customizing the default Type Mapping Rules is implemented
- Capability for setting diagram options either globally for all diagram documents or separately for a particular one is implemented: the Diagram Appearance and Printing options can now be set through the Options dialog box
- Capability for setting such options as Environment, Diagram and Servers' to adjust the Entity Developer behavior, Model diagram behavior and Type Mapping Rules to your needs is implemented
- Capability for setting and defining the class property validation rules based on different engines (Data Annotation, Enterprise Library, NHibernate Validator) is added
- The HasStream attribute of entity types, used retrieve binary data as a stream via Open Data Protocol, is supported (Entity Framework models)
- The bug with code generation for foreign key fields in Entity Framework models with fluent mapping is fixed
- The bug with code generation for default values of DateTime fields is fixed (LinqConnect models)
- The bug with 'losing' additional diagrams when re-opening a model is fixed
- The behavior of the Database.Delete code-first method is changed: the constraints are now disabled when database objects are deleted
- The config.QueryOptions.NoEscapeLike and CaseInsensitiveLike options are implemented to manage LIKE behaviour when using Linq to Entities extention methods .Contains() .EndsWith() .StartsWith()
- The bug with generating SQL for EdmFunction is fixed