Devart is glad to announce the release of the new version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL, enhanced database connectivity solution, built over the ADO.NET architecture, that supports Entity Framework and LinqConnect ORM solutions. New dotConnect for PostgreSQL offers you new greatly improved Entity Developer 4.1, significantly enhanced Entity Framework support, and many other improvements.
In the new version of dotConnect for PostgreSQL we have added Fluent Mapping support for LinqConnect models.
Fluent mapping provides the following advantages over XML and attribute mapping:
- Unlike attribute mapping, fluent mapping does not modify entity classes, allowing them not to be persistence-aware.
- Application code performs mapping, so mapping is always checked for errors during compilation.
- Mapping can be easily modified at run-time. For example, different DBMS can be used for persistence depending on the application settings.
Entity Developer Improvements
The new version of Entity Developer supports ENUM types introduced in the Entity Framework June 2011 CTP release and contains other numerous enhancements.
This release of Entity Developer supports Entity Framework June 2011 CTP. If this version of Entity Framework is installed on the machine, it is selected as the default setting in the application's appropriate dialogs.
As part of Entity Framework, Entity Developer fully supports the newly introduced enum types by providing a new Enum node in its Model Explorer window. Enum types are supported in Entity Developer for Entity Framework and LinqConnect models. For an easier use of this type, the application provides the drag-and-drop mechanism allowing to move enum types from the Model Explorer window on to the diagram's surface, and the Find in diagrams function that enables the user to easily locate enum types on the diagram.
Properties of the Enum types as well as those of their members can be conveniently set and modified in the new Enum Type Editor, provided in this latest version. Subsequently, these properties are displayed in the Properties windows and can be edited directly in that window.
Major improvements in the usability and user-friendliness of the application include entity shape coloring, selection-driven highlighting, application and diagram skins.
The entity shape coloring function allows the user to define a custom coloring for any entity present on the diagram by changing its Shape Color property.
The selection-driven functionality is intended to improve the readability of complex diagrams by visually indicating various interrelations between different entities present on a particular diagram.
The general look and feel of the application is further modernized with sets of skins for the application itself (available only in the standalone version) and for the diagram.
Here is the complete list of dotConnect for PostgreSQL 5.50.214 features:
- GSS authentication is supported
- Changed behaviour: the type of 'userid' and 'roleid' columns in database schema of ASP.NET Provider Model Support is UUID now
- The bug with the resource file in Mobile Samples which are shipped with provider is fixed
- The bug with serial columns when working with PgSqlLoader is fixed
- The bug with PgSqlCommand.Cancel() is fixed
- The bug with setting the Min Pool Size connection string parameter is fixed
- Fluent Mapping support is added
- The bug with inserting a TPT 'child' entity in case its primary key column names differ from the 'parent' entity ones is fixed
- The bug with deleting dependent entities when other changes were made is fixed
- The bug with entity materialization for queries with multiple eager loading options is fixed
- The bug with saving (inserting or updating) System.Data.Linq.Binary objects is fixed
- Fluent Mapping template for LinqConnect models is added
- Support for enumerated types ("enums") in LinqConnect and Entity Framework June 2011 CTP models is implemented
- Import for selected stored procedures into the context model for Entity Framework models is implemented
- New skins to improve the apllication appearance are implemented
- Selection driven highlighting is implemented
- Capability for changing the shape color for entities, complex types and enums is implemented
- Capability for selecting the diagram skin type is implemented
- Changed behaviour: when the FirstLetterUpperCase / FirstLetterLowerCase option is enabled in Naming rules, each letter after underscore will be capital/lower
- The bug with saving custom attribute properties with default values in .edml files is fixed
- The bug with changing property names ("Index was outside the bounds of the array") is fixed
- The bug with an incorrect generation of the private variables names in Entity Framework models is fixed
- The possibility to turn off generation of fake updates for parent entities is implemented
- The bug with constraint violation on Database.Delete is fixed
- The bug with escape symbols in the query is fixed