what are the advantages of using dotConnect over npgsql

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
mrlami

what are the advantages of using dotConnect over npgsql

Post by mrlami » Sat 28 Mar 2009 01:17

Aside for support, does DevArt's dotConnect for PostgreSQL have any advanges over it's npgsql?

Is it faster?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 31 Mar 2009 12:08

dotConnect for PostgreSQL has a built-in powerful modeling and code generation tool for LINQ to SQL and ADO.NET Entity Framework (Entity Developer, http://www.devart.com/entitydeveloper/ ), an advanced design time support (PgSqlDataTable, DataSet Wizard, DataSet Manager), handy SQL execution monitoring (PgSqlMonitor), high performance, regular new builds with bug fixes and new functionality implementation, expedited individual assistance with dotConnect for PostgreSQL-related questions from the dotConnect for PostgreSQL developers themselves, etc.

For more information, please refer to our online documentation: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/postgr ... tures.html .

dsaracini

Post by dsaracini » Wed 01 Apr 2009 16:05

There are also several reasons not to pick devart. Please see all of the bugs that I reported. Almost all of them have been reproduced/confirmed. And there hasn't been a patch or new release in over 6 weeks. And if you want a refund. Forget it. I have requested one 3 times (very nicely) and have not received it. I have switched to Npgsql. It works and seems stable and you have the source.

I recommend you careful review both before paying any money.

dsaracini

Post by dsaracini » Wed 01 Apr 2009 21:12

Update!

I did receive and email late today stating that they have sent the request to the billing company to process a refund for me. In my mind, this certainly reduces the risk in using/evaluating Devart's product.

It seemed only appropriate that I post this...

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 02 Apr 2009 10:02

Dear Dsaracini,

The delay between two builds - 4.00.22 (16-Feb-09) and 4.50.24 (17-Mar-09)- was caused by working on a number of improvements and adding new features that took a lot of time.

Your requests were processed within a timeframe of our response policy (2 working days). Part of your requests is fixed and will be included in the next build that will be available this week, the reason of some problems is not caused by our provider, two your requests are in progress now.

We are sorry to find out that you are not satisfied with our product.

Best regards,
Devart team