Trial Version 3.75 breaks apps using version 2.20

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
giedmer

Trial Version 3.75 breaks apps using version 2.20

Post by giedmer » Wed 15 Oct 2008 02:58

After installing trial version my existing apps are generating the following error:

Reference required to assembly 'CoreLab.Data, Version=4.70.24.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' containing the base class 'CoreLab.Common.DbCommandBase'. Add one to your project.

When I looked in the references in the class browser for CoreLab.Common namespace, DbCommandBase class does not exist, although using a reflector I can see that it does. Seems like the trial install created a dependence from version 2.20 PostgreSql namespace to version 4.70 Data namespace.

How do I fix this without uninstalling all CoreLab assemblies and re-installing the old version that I have? I would still like to try the trial version without commiting to upgrading... Thanks.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Wed 15 Oct 2008 10:48

Please make sure your project contains reference to the CoreLab.Data assembly. Try setting the "Specific Version=false" property for the reference to CoreLab.Data. Does it help?
As I understand, you have unistalled PostgreSQLDirect .NET version 2.20 and installed the 3.75 version. Is it right?

giedmer

Post by giedmer » Wed 15 Oct 2008 16:54

I have a license for version 2.20... which I use for production applications and I cannot uninstall it.

I installed the latest trial version with full install, which has assemblies with version 3.75 (for CoreLab.PostgreSql) and version 4.70 (for CoreLab.Data). I did not change any existing applications and I don't want to. I want to try the Trial new version for future projects. New and old assemblies should be able to run side-by-side, but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Any ideas? Or should I just give up on Trial and stick with the old version until I'm ready to upgrade all existing application?

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 16 Oct 2008 08:39

To be able to use several versions on one machine, we recommend you to follow these steps:
1. Install the 2.20 version of PostgreSQLDirect .NET. Copy CoreLab.Data.dll and CoreLab.PostgreSql.dll files from \Program Files\CoreLab\PostgreSqlDirect.NET2 to a temporary folder.
2. Uninstall this previous version.
3. Install newer (3.75) PostgreSQLDirect .NET version.
4. Delete from GAC the following files: policy.*.CoreLab.Data and policy.*.CoreLab.PostgreSql.
5. Add to GAC the *.dll files from the older (2.20) version.

Please note that there must be correct versions specified in your project's references.