Problem running PostgreSQL.NET on 64 bit operating system

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for PostgreSQL
phoebe007

Problem running PostgreSQL.NET on 64 bit operating system

Post by phoebe007 » Mon 25 Aug 2008 04:09

Hi,
I'm having issues opening database connections when running on a 64 bit operating system (Windows Server 2003).
I am building my assembly on the server using the "Any CPU" build option (i.e. not specifying either 32 bit or 64 bit).
When opening a connection I get this exception:

Code: Select all

License not valid due to the problems with PostgreSQLDirect .NET installation. at CoreLab.PostgreSql.PgSqlConnection.Open () 
Do I need to get a specific version of your CoreLab DLL's to run on 64 bit? Or do I need to use a specific build configuration?

Thanks in advance

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Tue 26 Aug 2008 13:37

Try to specify "32 bit" option explicitly when building.
If the problem will repeat, let us know.

phoebe007

Post by phoebe007 » Wed 27 Aug 2008 01:51

Hi Shalex,

Specifying 32 bit did not help. However, once I installed your product using the installation package onto the server, this problem resolved itself.

Note that previously I was building my application with the CoreLab.Data.dll, CoreLab.PostgreSQL.dll, etc. assemblies in the application directory, and until trying to run the application on a 64 bit operating system I didn't have any problems using this approach.

Can you please tell me why I need to install PostgesSQLDirect.NET into the GAC of the x64 machine in order to get my applications to run and stop throwing license-related exceptions?

Thanks

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Thu 28 Aug 2008 16:20

To compile an application that uses OraDirect .NET components, you have to install OraDirect .NET on your machine (it automatically registers our assemblies in GAC).
To run the application on end-user machine it is enough to have our assemblies in the application's directory.
More: http://www.devart.com/oranet/faq.html#q12