Can another string be used in Data Source instead of DataDirectory?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for SQLite
habipoguz

Can another string be used in Data Source instead of DataDirectory?

Post by habipoguz » Sat 30 Nov 2019 04:07

Hi,
To avoid hard coding I am not using database path for Data Source. Instead of it, I am using |DataDirectory| and code in Form Loading like:

Code: Select all

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetData("DataDirectory", Settings.DataPath);
When I changed the database structure, I had to connect to the old database and upgrade the data to the new database. For this reason, I need to connect to the new database at the start of the program and the old database while clicking Browse button.
But when I use DataDirectory on both, I get an error. When I define another string instead of DataDirectory, for example, DataNewDirectory, in the model page like `<Connection Mode="ConnectionString" ConnectionString="Data Source=|DataNewDirectory|" Provider="Devart.Data.SQLite" />` I got "Illegal characters in path." error. How do I manage this?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Can another string be used in Data Source instead of DataDirectory?

Post by Shalex » Sat 30 Nov 2019 11:27

Try using
ConnectionString="Data Source=|DataNewDirectory|\MyDatabase.db;"
instead of
ConnectionString="Data Source=|DataNewDirectory|"

If this doesn't help, localize the "Illegal characters in path." error in a small test project for reproducing and send it to us. Also, specify the full stack trace of the exception.

habipoguz

Post by habipoguz » Sat 30 Nov 2019 21:28

Shalex, Thank you very much. There's no problem with that. In your example, at least the database file name has to be fixed. For example, C:\Users\Quince\Desktop\database.db, D:\Test\database.db, C:\Users\Quince\Documents\database.db ... But I have a textbox and a browse button. Therefore, the user can also select and use the database file from any location with any file name, for example from a flash disk. Moreover, these databases can have different names like I said. Even if nothing, the user may want to change the database file name so that he can enjoy it. In this case |DataNewDirectory|\MyDatabase.db will be helpless.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Mon 02 Dec 2019 13:38

|DataDirectory| is the only macros name allowed by our provider.

Possible ways:

1. Assign path and file name chosen by your user:

Code: Select all

var connection = new SQLiteConnection($"DataSource={ openFileDialog1.FileName }");
2. Or set your |DataDirectory| and open the first connection. After using Browse, change |DataDirectory| to the one chosen by your user and open the second connection.