prNativeClient (deprecated) still loads before prMSOLEDB?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
FredS

prNativeClient (deprecated) still loads before prMSOLEDB?

Post by FredS » Thu 25 Nov 2021 18:33

LocalFailOver failed on my Windows 7 test machine and that was my preferred way of testing..
Turns out it all works on Windows 10 but only on Windows 7 when I force the prMSOLEDB provider.

SQL Server Native Client
Important
The SQL Server Native Client (SQLNCLI) remains deprecated and it is not recommended to use it for new development work. Instead, use the new Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server (MSOLEDBSQL) which will be updated with the most recent server features.

Stellar
Devart Team

Re: prNativeClient (deprecated) still loads before prMSOLEDB?

Post by Stellar » Fri 03 Dec 2021 11:09

Hi Fred!

Thanks for reaching us.

Please note that UniDAC will use one of the supported providers in such order: prNativeClient / prMSOLEDB / prSQL.
We did not prioritize the prMSOLEDB provider to prevent behavioral changes for existing users.
Please specify the version of MS SQL Server and the version of Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server you are using?

Regards,
Sergey,
Devart Team

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri 03 Dec 2021 15:00

Please specify the version of MS SQL Server and the version of Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server you are using?
MS SQL Server version made no diff, tested against 2008-2017..
MSOLEDB is v18.6 and the original Native was from MSSQL 2012, but I updated to match my Win10 and the same behavior.

Code: Select all

prNativeClient=11.0.6020.0(2012), 11.0.7462.6(2014SP3) 
prMSOLEDB=18.6.0000.0 // all works with this
prSQL=06.01.7601 // LocalFailOver works 
This was the error on Win7 using prNativeClient:

exception class    : EUniError
exception message  : Object was open. Cannot execute command in current transaction context until previous opened DataSet (CursorType is ctDefaultResultSet) is fetched to end
and log data of the working Failover:

EMSError: TCP Provider: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. 
Alert: Reconnection Attempt: 1, Thread: MAIN 
Info: Reconnected to : Microsoft SQL Server 

Stellar
Devart Team

Post by Stellar » Tue 14 Dec 2021 13:44

Hi,

Thanks for your request.

To implement automatic reconnect, you can try to handle the OnConnectionLost event in TUniConnection.
To use the OnConnectionLost event handler, you should explicitly add the MemData unit to the 'uses' list and set the TCustomDAConnection.Options.LocalFailover property to True.

https://www.devart.com/unidac/docs/deva ... onlost.htm

uses
  MemData;

var
  FReconnect: Boolean;

procedure Button1Click.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
  FReconnect := False;
  UniConnection1.Options.LocalFailover := True;
  UniConnection1.Connect;
end;

procedure TForm1.UniConnection1AfterConnect(Sender: TObject);
begin
  FReconnect := False;
end;

procedure TForm1.UniConnection1ConnectionLost(Sender: TObject;
  Component: TComponent; ConnLostCause: TConnLostCause;
  var RetryMode: TRetryMode);
begin
  FReconnect := True;
  RetryMode := TRetryMode.rmReconnect;
end;

procedure TForm1.UniConnection1Error(Sender: TObject; E: EDAError; var Fail: Boolean);
begin
  Fail := not FReconnect;
end;
Best regards,
Sergey

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue 14 Dec 2021 16:03

I have a working failover, which stopped working but only using the deprecated Native Client..

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue 14 Dec 2021 20:02

I should add that I don't expect you to fix this. Windows 7 may no longer be used enough to make that worthwhile but changing the order the providers are loaded would be a good way to solve issues like this.

I understand that you don't want to break old stuff, although I do seem to get a lot of breaking changes not marked as such :)

Maybe the best way would be to add a global var that can be set to change the order of loading during initialization.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu 23 Dec 2021 22:24

Just had an error with Server 2012 using Native on Azure against a 2017 SQL Server.

EUniError: Database 'PA' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.
Direct worked fine.. so did MSOLEDB..

Stellar
Devart Team

Post by Stellar » Tue 28 Dec 2021 08:19

Hi,

Kindly be informed that if you want to use Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server (MSOLEDBSQL), then you can explicitly specify the required provider for the specific Provider option.

UniConnection1.SpecificOptions.Values['Provider'] := 'prMSOLEDB';
Best regards,
Sergey

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue 28 Dec 2021 16:02

then you can explicitly specify
Right, the point of that post was to make you aware that a Server which had no issues a month or so ago is now coming up with errors that would not make one think its the fault of prNative..

So first Windows 7 with failover, now Server 2012.. yet UniDAC still loads DEPRECATED prNative..

I ran theses tests during app start loading: Native, Direct, MSOLEDB then Native again.. both Native runs had the same error..

What I should have done and will do the next time I start up the Azure Domain Forest is to test current release versions built with UniDAC prAUTO and see what happens..

Stellar
Devart Team

Post by Stellar » Thu 13 Jan 2022 16:24

Hi Fred,

As we said earlier, when using the prAuto provider, UniDAC checks for the presence of an installed MS SQL Native Client. If the provider is installed, then UniDAC uses it.

The next check is whether the prMSOLEDB (Microsoft OLE DB Driver for SQL Server) provider is installed. We do not plan to change the sequence, as we do not have requests from other users.

You can set the required provider in the connection settings.

Best regards,
Sergey,