Interbase / Firebird Recommendations...

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
Aggie85

Interbase / Firebird Recommendations...

Post by Aggie85 » Sat 20 Feb 2021 02:05

Howdy All!

I am designing a multi-platform app (Android / IOS / Windows). The application will initially be a single user but some functionality will only be in the desktop application (Windows) because of component availability (Fast Report FMX).

After playing with SQLITE and IBTOGO, I have decided to use IBTOGO for mobile. Since I am a Rad Studio Architect user, I get an IBTOGO distribution license for mobile.

I just realized that IBLITE and IBTOGO are for mobile only. The Interbase options for Windows are to expensive since they are per seat and not an affordable one-time licensing.

I could just use a different database for the desktop version of my application and provide an import/export/sync module. This seems silly and stupid in 2021, but economics always trump ideal solutions.

Since I don't want to use SQLITE and my app requires an embedded database, does anyone have a better approach than two different databases?

Thanks in advance,

Aggie85

Aggie85

Re: Interbase / Firebird Recommendations...

Post by Aggie85 » Sat 20 Feb 2021 16:56

Howdy All!

After some more investigation, I am going to use SQLite - it solves all my distribution problems and I can get around the few things I was unfamiliar with and thought would be problems.

All the best,

Aggie85

oleg0k
Devart Team

Re: Interbase / Firebird Recommendations...

Post by oleg0k » Tue 16 Mar 2021 14:33

Hello,
SQLite is a good choice for multi-platform applications. You may also try Firebird; note though that Firebird doesn't support iOS.

wbr, Oleg
Devart Team